Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Ektachrome in Beta Testing

I see the announcement overnight (for us kiwis) that Kodak have started shipping new Ektachrome Beta packs to testers in the field... One step closer to full production, might be time to service one of my 35mm cameras
Kodak Ektachrome is Now in the Hands of Testers

08-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
I see the announcement overnight (for us kiwis) that Kodak have started shipping new Ektachrome Beta packs to testers in the field... One step closer to full production, might be time to service one of my 35mm cameras
Kodak Ektachrome is Now in the Hands of Testers
Yep it's getting close! Wonder how one becomes an official Kodak tester? Employee?

Phil.
08-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When they start beta testing "newly introduced Kodachrome", it will get my attention. Ektachrome always had issues with dye halos and contrast (dynamic range) and though I used it, it was not a favorite and was usually superseded by negative film which continued to improve over time. Kodachrome was the king, however, of transparency film, maybe even all color films, and set many standards for color reproduction. Probably a dream wish, but like I say, that would be one film that would get me to using film again.
08-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The one day that I didn't check for ektachrome news there is something new! Good to hear. Thanks for sharing!

08-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just waiting to see some of the pictures that come out of the first batch.
08-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Great news that it's finally in the hands of beta testers. Hopefully Kodak will have chosen testers with an online presence who will be allowed to put their results out where we can see them (just please not Ren Kockwell).

I've been set up ready to go with this film for months now, film bodies cleaned and checked, DSLR "scanning" rig put together and tested. Although I'm starting to think that the demand might be so huge when it's finally released that it'll be hard to get hold of the stuff.
08-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
When they start beta testing "newly introduced Kodachrome", it will get my attention. Ektachrome always had issues with dye halos and contrast (dynamic range) and though I used it, it was not a favorite and was usually superseded by negative film which continued to improve over time. Kodachrome was the king, however, of transparency film, maybe even all color films, and set many standards for color reproduction. Probably a dream wish, but like I say, that would be one film that would get me to using film again.
Sadly, I think the complex chemistry required for Kodachrome makes its revival unlikely, especially considering how uncommon labs that will do the (much simpler) E-6 development process for Ektachrome and other slide films are.

08-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Sadly, I think the complex chemistry required for Kodachrome makes its revival unlikely, especially considering how uncommon labs that will do the (much simpler) E-6 development process for Ektachrome and other slide films are.
Some of the chemistry for Kodachrome was proprietary to EK and the proprietary manufacturing facilities are no longer in existence. It isn’t clear that EPA rules will even permit making them economically any more.

Probably even Kodak can’t buy the chemistry off the shelf, contract out, or make the necessary chemistry to either/both make Kodachrome or process Kodachrome any more.
08-17-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Some of the chemistry for Kodachrome was proprietary to EK and the proprietary manufacturing facilities are no longer in existence. It isn’t clear that EPA rules will even permit making them economically any more.

Probably even Kodak can’t buy the chemistry off the shelf, contract out, or make the necessary chemistry to either/both make Kodachrome or process Kodachrome any more.
AFAIK much of the underlying technology has been irrevocably lost. The best we could hope for is a 'kodachrome-like' film, that shares some of its qualities (fine grain, color accuracy, dye stability). Actually I think I would prefer it as a color negative, hopefully ISO 200 or faster.
08-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
AFAIK much of the underlying technology has been irrevocably lost. The best we could hope for is a 'kodachrome-like' film, that shares some of its qualities (fine grain, color accuracy, dye stability). Actually I think I would prefer it as a color negative, hopefully ISO 200 or faster.
The Kodachrome process can't be applied to negative materials because the dyes were introduced during the second development through chromogenic development (no dye couplers were present in Kodachrome which is one issue with Ektachrome in that incorporated couplers can create "halos" when dye is formed at local sites in the emulsion). Negative film doesn't have a second development phase so this (chromogenic development) isn't possible and color couplers must be included in negative type color films. The process for Kodachrome was quite complex (and expensive to run) and that's the reason it was farmed out to relatively few selected processing labs. Not much hope for Kodachrome to be resuscitated but just saying it would be my color film of choice. My prediction is the "new" Ektachrome won't last long due to it not making profit margins for Kodak. One saving grace is that it can be produced on the same coating machines as negative film (probably the same number of emulsion layers) and processing isn't that involved so it can enjoy widespread processing so it will be a good test for the rejuvenation of color transparency film.
08-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Just waiting to see some of the pictures that come out of the first batch.
There are some rather unimpressive samples here: Kodak Teases First Test Photos Shot on New Ektachrome Film

I'm reminded of nothing so much as Seattle Film Works motion picture stock.
08-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
From reading the history, it's pretty amazing Kodachrome ever did exist.

More on topic, I wonder what the color palette of the new Ektachrome will be like. in general I find Kodak films to be slightly warm in color, but Fujifilm's to be more neutral or cool.

I can only hope that the re-introduction of Ektachrome will increase E-6 demand enough for more (and smaller) labs to process it.
08-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There are photos popping up:

Kodak Reintroduces Ektachrome.
08-17-2018, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
More on topic, I wonder what the color palette of the new Ektachrome will be like. in general I find Kodak films to be slightly warm in color, but Fujifilm's to be more neutral or cool.
All I've heard is that it's not just a re-release of the last E100G, the new E100 is a whole new design and that's why is taking so long.

Phil.

---------- Post added 17-08-18 at 10:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Yes I agree, but the last 100G Ektachrome was way better than the old stuff. Hopefully the new E100 will even be better, lots of improvement in E6 emulsions over the years.

Beggars can't be choosers, a new E6 is better than no E6. And yes there will never be an E6 film as good as Kodachrome........

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 08-17-2018 at 10:38 AM.
08-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
There are photos popping up:

Kodak Reintroduces Ektachrome.
These photos look promising. But with any film, got to get my hands on some for the real tests.