Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Pentax Film SLR prism compatability

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

First time poster, but I have visited this forum many times and have found them to be very helpful! So I have a Pentax K2 that has a desilvered prism. My question is how likely is it that a prism out of another K body (or even a Spotmatic) would work in the K2. Thanks!

09-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure the K2 used the same prism as the rest of the K series, and the Spotmatic. There was a thread a while back in which the original poster was buying up Spotmatics to cannibalize the prism to refit K1000s for resale.
09-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmjohn1337 Quote
Hi all,

First time poster, but I have visited this forum many times and have found them to be very helpful! So I have a Pentax K2 that has a desilvered prism. My question is how likely is it that a prism out of another K body (or even a Spotmatic) would work in the K2. Thanks!
Best check with Eric, he will know. Not sure about prisms, but he told me once that the focusing screens in a K2 are a different size than a KX/KM/K1000.

Phil.
09-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The focusing screen and prism are a little wider in the K2.

09-03-2018, 04:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2 prism is different to the KX, KM and K1000. I think it is even different to its M42 mount sister - the ESII

I have some dead K2 prisms and have compared them to the one linked below as listed on ebay (I am not linked to the seller)

Asahi Pentax SLR Sucher Prisma / new finder prism - old stock (NEU) | eBay

It looks like the real deal. Perhaps worth the punt?
09-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There was a thread a while back in which the original poster was buying up Spotmatics to cannibalize the prism to refit K1000s for resale.
The K1000 (and the KM) was a Spotmatic F with a bayonet mount, and otherwise only detailed differences, so that is a no-brainer. It would not necessarily apply to the K2 or KX though.
09-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure the K2 used the same prism as the rest of the K series, and the Spotmatic. There was a thread a while back in which the original poster was buying up Spotmatics to cannibalize the prism to refit K1000s for resale.
One would think, except that the focus screen is larger than other K-series bodies. implying differences in the prism and/or ocular.

Steve

09-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One would think, except that the focus screen is larger than other K-series bodies. implying differences in the prism and/or ocular.

Steve
I've never even seen a K2, let alone looked through the viewfinder of one, so I guess I should have looked it up

The KX, KM, & K1000 are all the same body though...the KX has different meter...
09-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've never even seen a K2, let alone looked through the viewfinder of one, so I guess I should have looked it up
I have handled one, but my comment was based on a recent camera comparison post from @LesDMess. The image below was rather enlightening...

Steve
09-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The KX, KM, & K1000 are all the same body though...the KX has different meter...
The KX is different size-wise too, though just a millimeter or so here and there.

Nope...wrong. It is officially identical dimensions, according to the user manuals. However, this site has different measurements between the K2, KM, KX, and K1000. The K1000 is the same as the Spotmatic F except for being a little shorter.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.
09-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
this site has different measurements between the K2, KM, KX, and K1000. The K1000 is the same as the Spotmatic F except for being a little shorter.
Possibly the K1000 is a little shorter than the Spotmatic F, but whatever it is the KM is the same as the K1000 because the K1000 is simply the KM with some features removed (most significantly the self-timer). The line of evolution was : Spotmatic F ---> KM ---> K1000. Apart from the major change from the Spotmatic's screw mount to the KM's bayonet, other changes were relatively minor I believe.
09-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The line of evolution was : Spotmatic F ---> KM ---> K1000. Apart from the major change from the Spotmatic's screw mount to the KM's bayonet, other changes were relatively minor I believe.
Yes, that is the obvious line of evolution. I suspect the size differences are due to top plate design more than anything else. One would have to compare parts lists to determine actual interchange potential of things like prisms.

Steve