Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I haven't used BW400CN (but probably have a long expired roll somewhere). I understand your reasoning about multiple bodies and the film being the common factor, but I'm struggling to see how the film could have gone off so quickly. I've shot stacks of much older expired film with very few problems - I've had far more problems with film left in a camera for years where minuscule light leaks have affected the portion of film across the gate. Unless the film is 5-6 years expired, I don't bother re-rating it. I don't know how it compares to XP2 (which is reported to be bullet-proof and it supposedly has a huge range of latitude).

John.
Apart the base colour the Kodak and Ilford films should be very similar with no grain!

09-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BW400CN film was designed during the age of local Main Street/High Street minilabs.
The orange mask was included to allow acceptable prints to be made on color paper.

Like C41 process color films chromagenic BW films use dyes rather than silver halides.
Keeping requirements and shelf-life are therefore also more like C41 process color films.

Many liked this film very much. When minilabs were common it was an easy way to do BW.
I prefer the creative control and lower cost of home-developing conventional BW film.

Chris
09-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
BW400CN film was designed during the age of local Main Street/High Street minilabs.
The orange mask was included to allow acceptable prints to be made on color paper.

Like C41 process color films chromagenic BW films use dyes rather than silver halides.
Keeping requirements and shelf-life are therefore also more like C41 process color films.

Many liked this film very much. When minilabs were common it was an easy way to do BW.
I prefer the creative control and lower cost of home-developing conventional BW film.

Chris
Yes one hour mini labs, serpia prints from XP2, scan to CD: yesterday.
Please stop nostalgia!
09-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As I said earlier, I used to really like it for my older cameras with less reliable shutters. I liked it very much indeed. I use more traditional BW film with cameras I had more trust in such as my LX.