Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Amazing what folks will pay for a K 1000! Not too long ago I scored a KX in excellent condition, along with a f 1.4 lens, for under $120. including shipping. The KX is what the K 1000 should have been, DOF preview, mirror lock-up, f stop and shutter visible in viewfinder, center weighted meter, etc.
My chrome KX cost me a total of $36 after shipping in 2010 (Shopgoodwill.com was so much better years ago...). The lot that contained my black KX cost me $149 in 2017. But that also had a set of Kenko AF extension tubes, a PZ-70, 2 35-80mm lenses (A & F), and a M 50/1.7 on the KX.

01-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One of the things I want to do when I finally have money is have my late uncle's KM and one of his K1000s serviced back to working order. Seems kind of sad to see such well-used cameras sitting in a display cabinet gathering dust (and also stinking up the cabinet because they are musty as heck).
01-08-2019, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #213
Veteran Member

Not sure why a camera will smell ‘musty’ apart from really old stuff where leather starts to go that way. Theres not much in a 70s SLR to go musty I would think unless they have stale cigarette smoke imbedded in them.

You could clean the ouside cases down with a dilute isoprop solution, bit of mild soapy water on the leatherette. Leather cases will always benefit from a clean with mild soapy water (natural soap is best) followed up with some beeswax once fully dry.

Whatever you do keep them in a dry warm environment to keep any fungus at bay. I’d bung a bag of silca gel in the cabinet with them.
01-08-2019, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
One of the things I want to do when I finally have money is have my late uncle's KM and one of his K1000s serviced back to working order. Seems kind of sad to see such well-used cameras sitting in a display cabinet gathering dust (and also stinking up the cabinet because they are musty as heck).
I’d suggest inspecting lenses for mist or fungus and having one set sent for service now!
Failing that check the battery compartments are empty!