Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

MX light leak

Dear brains trust, any ideas where my light leak is?

MX and SMC-Tak 50/f1.4

I suspect I would have shot this with the shutter-release down

09-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find light leaks to be nearly impossible to accurately diagnose, but I'll have a go...

The leak runs top to bottom and isn't really stronger on either the top or the bottom, so that would seem to rule out the top and bottom of the film door.
Does the leak run across the entire negative, outside the frame?
If yes, I would suspect the leak is on the hinge end of the film door.
09-23-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #3

Just replace them all. If one goes bad the rest will follow sooner or later. A light seal kit will give you material for all the seals and the mirror bumper. Why only replace one seal then ruin a few rolls of film when the next one(s) starts leaking?

If you really need to know get a small keychain flashlight/torch that will fit in the film compartment, turn it on, close the camera and go into a dark room.
09-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Left side of the frame means the leak is on the right side of the camera.

If the leak is entirely confined to the frame (that is it is not in the filling gap between frames or bleeding across the sprocket hole margins), then the leak is in the front of the camera. If so, check the shutter both after firing and after cocking.

09-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second curtain slow at end of travel? The first example looks that way.

A hinge leak would show at different points of each frame as a band with differing amounts of intensity depending on position in the roll and the amount of time between shots (...has strongest effect on the rolled up film on the take-up side).

Steve
09-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just replace them all. If one goes bad the rest will follow sooner or later. A light seal kit will give you material for all the seals and the mirror bumper. Why only replace one seal then ruin a few rolls of film when the next one(s) starts leaking?
Because it may not be seals (see the above comments regarding the shutter).

---------- Post added 09-24-2018 at 04:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Second curtain slow at end of travel? The first example looks that way.

A hinge leak would show at different points of each frame as a band with differing amounts of intensity depending on position in the roll and the amount of time between shots (...has strongest effect on the rolled up film on the take-up side).

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Left side of the frame means the leak is on the right side of the camera.

If the leak is entirely confined to the frame (that is it is not in the filling gap between frames or bleeding across the sprocket hole margins), then the leak is in the front of the camera. If so, check the shutter both after firing and after cocking.
Thanks for your comments. When you say check the shutter, what am I checking?
09-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Thanks for your comments. When you say check the shutter, what am I checking?
Remove the lens, open the back, point the camera toward the sky and then look for light coming through the shutter or at the edge after firing and during cocking. If the shutter is not traveling all the way to form a light seal or the sequence of curtain movements during cocking are off, there may be gaps on the right side. A warped leading edge of a curtain may be catching on the frame and preventing proper motion.

Good luck!

09-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Remove the lens, open the back, point the camera toward the sky and then look for light coming through the shutter or at the edge after firing and during cocking. If the shutter is not traveling all the way to form a light seal or the sequence of curtain movements during cocking are off, there may be gaps on the right side. A warped leading edge of a curtain may be catching on the frame and preventing proper motion.

Good luck!
Ok thanks for the tip