Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Due at Freestyle mid Oct - I have some on order.

09-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news I've been waiting for! I will order some from Freestyle.
Unfortunately it will likely arrive a bit late for peak autumn colors...

Chris
09-25-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I developed most of the E-6 myself or sent it to Kodak (when the Kodak labs were directly owned by Kodak- a US issue) or a place called A&I in the LA area..
My uncle worked for a company called Visual In-Seitz that was located right next to Kodak HQ in Rochester. Among other things he turned Power Point presentations into 35mm slides...Kodak's photographers sent him their Ektachrome to develop...

Plus he could bulk roll and develop Ektachrome for me for free. I miss those days
09-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Ektar 100 started out on 35mm, at the time Kodak had no plans to produce a 120 format of the film. Not long after, 120 and sheet formats of Ektar 100 were available. I'm sure the same will happen with Ektachrome as well.

09-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Oh come on, it's a start (or in this case a restart). In this day and age, I suspect 35mm is far and away the volume leader for anything other than B&W negatives.
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Film like this is the one reason I continue to hold on to my Bronica and Moskva-5 cameras. 120 format - pleeeaaasseee!
- I rest my case. At least I would expect them to announce the potential for expanding to 120 format in the months ahead, I know it is early. In order to keep a market alive they have to show they are willing to plan ahead, and take the steps to expand.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's business sense... for now. If the uptake is everything they expect and more, they might consider larger formats.
If it is business sense that drives them: they have chosen to start out in a weird corner. Transparency films have on average 3.5-/+ stops less DR than negative films*, granularity is more apparent in the highlights, and finding labs that still do E-6 will be difficult. There are some solutions in the E-6 process that get exhausted rather quickly** and finding a suitable supply chain that can produce consistent quality at volume. The initial issues with chemistry may create conditions that may result in negative initial impressions for early users.

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
What's that supposed to mean? Isn't E-6 a standard chemistry and process?
It means that it has been a long time since E-6 was in common use and the supply chain of chemistry was at a consistent level. The machinery used to develop and process the film has been mothballed by many labs over the years and may have issues when put back into commission. Yes, E-6 is a standard process - but it requires precise control of chemistry, temperature, and timing, in order to produce repeatable high quality results.

*though this can vary with the film being used.
** like the bleach, which also requires special disposal: you can't dump it down the sink.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-26-2018 at 03:53 AM.
09-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It means that it has been a long time since E-6 was in common use and the supply chain of chemistry was at a consistent level. The machinery used to develop and process the film has been mothballed by many labs over the years and may have issues when put back into commission. Yes, E-6 is a standard process - but it requires precise control of chemistry, temperature, and timing, in order to produce repeatable high quality results.
In this neck-o-the-woods E-6 is still not uncommon. Volume is certainly down but so are the number of labs in general and those that remain are somewhat busy.
I know of four that I've used with regularity in the past 6 or 7 years since i started shooting fuji chromes again, within driving that process transparencies quite well, and that number more than I've used mail-order.

E-6, though more expensive has been as consistent for me personally via labs as C41... It's farming out b&w that can be a pain to find reliability in.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Due at Freestyle mid Oct - I have some on order.
The Find Lab has it availble pre-order as well. Their date is 10/06/2018 ("or thereabouts" hehe) but we'll see.
I popped in an order.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 09-26-2018 at 12:04 AM.
09-26-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I last shot Ektachrome in the 1980s and hated it. I am, however, looking forward to trying out this new version which is an entirely different beast.

Personally, I think bringing out a new film, any sort of new film, ought to be a cause for celebration. I've seen my favourite films slowly vanish one by one, so having something new to try will be fun. Plenty of labs here process E-6 so all the negativity about processing is a red herring, at least here in the UK.

K.

09-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I don't think this means a huge explosion of slide film users; probably the same people using it will be the ones who have used Provia and Velvia since Ektachrome was discontinued. Even the drugstores that used to develop their own film here in the US (using self-contained processing machines, in the most recent incarnations) have now switched to sending it out to a film processor. Those facilities will probably have E-6 capability, and may have in fact always had it, depending on who runs them.

All the small independent places have probably had it available all along, especially if they are frequented by photography enthusiasts who may have sought out the previous version of Ektachrome on Ebay. I don't know the situation where you are; are there any/many film processors of any kind?
09-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Personally, I think bringing out a new film, any sort of new film, ought to be a cause for celebration.
Completely agree.

Being "late to the game" as far as film is concerned, I'm super excited to have new things to try... even if it's something that requires a little more effort in getting developed, or what have you.

My only disappointment is that I won't have a chance to get my hands on some before leaving on a roadtrip next Friday.
09-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I've ordered a couple of rolls. The place I used offers pre-paid processing with a mailing envelope so no worries about that.
09-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to send my slides to Kodak, later Qualex, in Fair Lawn NJ.
I will miss the prepaid Kodak mailers and fast turnaround time.

I'm confident numerous mail-order labs will be competent processing the new Ektachrome.

Chris
09-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm confident numerous mail-order labs will be competent processing the new Ektachrome.
I just received an email notification for the Ektachrome release from Michaels in Melbourne - I use them to do my B&W processing so they chose to upsell the new product - interesting times -
09-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I just received an email notification for the Ektachrome release from Michaels in Melbourne
Atkins Technicolor here in Adelaide have yet to jump on the bandwagon.
09-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I just received an email notification for the Ektachrome release from Michaels in Melbourne - I use them to do my B&W processing so they chose to upsell the new product - interesting times -
Great News, I'll be in touch with them on Monday. Been going through withdrawal since reversal film and processing has been so hard to get in Australia.
09-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iphoenix Quote
Great News, I'll be in touch with them on Monday.
Not in stock - was just an invitation to pre-order...Tempting - Would have to adopt my dad's old slide projector and screen...