Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Consider Getting an LX, and Have Some Questions

I have to admit it... I absolutely want an LX, it's now my dream camera. And I have been browsing eBay lately, and the KEH outlet have two LX bodies lying around. One is in "bargin" and has an FA-1 finder, for 299 USD. Another is in "ugly" and has an FA-1W finder for 209 USD. My plan is to buy it, and send it to Eric immediately for a full CLA. I am also going to purchase the Winder LX (not the motor drive) at some point.

I have never bought anything rated "ugly" from KEH, so I don't really know how bad it could be. Shall I get the "bargin" or "ugly" if I am sending it to Eric?

Sincerely

09-30-2018, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Touch base with Eric first. Seems like he's taking it slow these days.
09-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Touch base with Eric first. Seems like he's taking it slow these days.
Just dropped him a line, thanks.
09-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I have never bought anything rated "ugly" from KEH, so I don't really know how bad it could be. Shall I get the "bargin" or "ugly" if I am sending it to Eric?

Sincerely
Your miles may vary, but I’ve generally heard very good things about KEH’s ‘ugly’ stuff. Having said that, I’d be cautious of any LX that hasn’t been CLA’d and thoroughly tested...

09-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Your miles may vary, but I’ve generally heard very good things about KEH’s ‘ugly’ stuff. Having said that, I’d be cautious of any LX that hasn’t been CLA’d and thoroughly tested...
I know that, and that's why I am sending it immediately to Eric (probably with one or two of my lenses too) once it gets into my hands. But I am not sure how bad can a KEH "ugly" camera body get.
09-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not familiar with KEH's grades so can't help on that. The FA-1W finder has a larger diopter adjustment than the FA-1 if that's important. The winder is much more practical than the motordrive, only takes 4 AA batteries (the motordrive uses NiCds that will almost certainly be goosed - unless you go for the pistol grip which takes AA's) and still offers powered film rewind.
09-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Not familiar with KEH's grades so can't help on that. The FA-1W finder has a larger diopter adjustment than the FA-1 if that's important. The winder is much more practical than the motordrive, only takes 4 AA batteries (the motordrive uses NiCds that will almost certainly be goosed - unless you go for the pistol grip which takes AA's) and still offers powered film rewind.
Do they both have the ADR window for reading the aperture scale?

09-30-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Haven't seen an FA-1W but all my documentation suggests it does - the FA-1 definitely does.

Last edited by johnha; 09-30-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
09-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

yes it has the ADR window
09-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've bought many items from KEH but never an "ugly" one. All the "bargain" condition that I've bought would require very close inspection to see a nick or two. If it is not identified as "as-is not working", I expect it will be fully functional and accurate. And of course they have money back guarantee. They're also on ebay as kehoutlet with a couple of LX's at different prices.
To date, I've only returned one item with an issue that they ended up replacing with one listed at a higher price. I've even bought an item listed "as-is not working" and it was fully functional and accurate even today and all it needed were batteries. No doubt there is always a matter of chance when it comes to used electro-mechanical products.
09-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I’ve never bought “ugly” from KEH. I’d be afraid to since they say it may have fungus, which I won’t abide. I’ve gotten “bargain” items, that look practically new (including a Kodak Retina from 1958 that was in impeccable condition.)
10-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

BTW, I bought my first LX - EX condition, from KEH 10 years ago now and it continues to be factory accurate today having fully exercised all functions with many rolls of all film types.

And I also got an EX condition 50mm f1.2 from them as well not long after . . .
10-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

Your mileage may vary, but I bought an Excellent-grade LX from KEH a few months ago. I felt it was a stretch on their end to label it EX; bargain would have been more appropriate so I sent it back. Ended up buying one on eBay from a trusted seller for less $. Eric inspected it and found it in good working order as well.
10-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experiences with KEH has been they are conservative with grading and usually grade an item one lower than most other places. My latest purchase, a battery grip for my ZX-5, arrived 2 days ago and was rated as a good item. I was unable to find any indication that it had been used at all.
10-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've bought a lot from KEH, and agree their grading is generally conservative - compared to eBay sellers. I have bought an "ugly" lens for parts that was better than the "Bargain" bought earlier that I was working on. I've also bought "Excellent" times that weren't as nice as some "Bargain". But in any case their return policy is excellent.