Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #1

Removing top cover from AP S or K

I have a recently acquired Asahi Pentax S. Its shutter is a little sticky and inconsistent and gets worse in the cold, so I've been doing some cleaning and lubricating. The bottom cover and front cover came off easily, but the top cover is a little more difficult. Has anyone removed one? The issue is with the top shutter speed dial. The later Pentax cameras have two set screws on the side of the dial. You loosen them and the dial comes off. The S has the set screws hidden. You lift up the dial to expose the two screws. I could loosen them, but I'm worried about how I will get it back together. The dial is sprung - you lift it up and it pulls itself back down. That would present a problem upon re-assembly. I'm reluctant to take such a rare camera apart unless I'm completely confident that I'll get it back together.
Has anyone removed the dial? How did you put it back together?

10-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an AP, S and K, and my advice would be - have it done professionally - the S is too rare to risk it not going back together again.
10-25-2018, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #3

Pull up on the speed dial and rest it between shutter speeds, between 60 and 120 gives the widest space. Remove the set screws and remove the shutter dial. When putting it back together, pull up on the piece that the dial is set-screwed to and rotate it until it remains raised, replace the top and attach the speed dial.
10-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
That makes sense. There's a big gap between those two speeds and once the dial is off it will hopefully stay in that position.
When you say "pull up on the piece that the dial is set-screwed to and rotate until it remains raised", is that to re-set the shaft to the position between 1/125 s and 1/60s?
Thanks!

10-26-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
That makes sense. There's a big gap between those two speeds and once the dial is off it will hopefully stay in that position.
When you say "pull up on the piece that the dial is set-screwed to and rotate until it remains raised", is that to re-set the shaft to the position between 1/125 s and 1/60s?
Thanks!
Yes. It is likely that the shutter dial plate will rotate and drop back down while you are working on the camera. With the top off, you can see that a round plate with slots in it is what determines the shutter speed. It changes the amount of turn (time) before a tab trips the second shutter curtain.
10-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Great, thanks.
I'll tackle it this weekend and report back.