Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2018, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been there; done that

In the mid-1990's I sold my last Nikon film SLR and lenses.
My daughter had recently been born and my wife was ill.

After a few years I missed photography.
Early digital was not really on my radar.
I started with Ricoh and graduated to Pentax film SLRs.

I enjoyed them so much I now have a collection of some of the best Pentax, Nikon and other film cameras and lenses.
Today's digitals don't interest me either.

My suggestion is to get your Pentax film SLR bodies serviced by Eric Hendrickson
http://pentaxs.com - now, while you still can - then put them away in a safe place.

In a couple years you may find you want to use them again.
If not you can sell them; they will probably increase in value.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-28-2018 at 11:34 AM.
10-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I love shooting film but like you I’ve found it’s work flow doesn’t fit with my current life flow. I have no room for a darkroom in my house, and no time to really use it if I had the space, with trying to raise and spend time with my two kids and my wife, working full time, taking care of the house, etc.

What digital kit do you have? Maybe sell that for or towards full-frame body that will work with your M and A lenses, either a Sony A7 or a Pentax K1. Or compare your aps-c files to your film shots and realize you’re actually probably ahead quality wise with the little sensor if you have comparably good lenses for it... I did.
Changing bag for film even 1000ft bulk roll, cibachrome tube for paper!
10-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't really comment on your film gear situation, as I have little background and experience in that area. But, like some others that have responded, I'll challenge your view of - and perhaps re-ignite your interest in - APS-C, assuming you still own a camera with that sensor format.

I shoot both Pentax APS-C and non-Pentax full frame bodies, and the only significant difference is which lenses to use for which purpose. A 30 - 35mm lens on my APS-C cameras fulfils much the same role as a 50mm "normal" lens on my full frame bodies. A 50mm lens on APS-C fulfils a similar role to a short tele in the 75 - 85mm range on full frame. Once you get used to the field of view each lens offers on APS-C, it's no less capable in most respects than full frame, and in some applications (wildlife and sport photography, for example) it can be better than full frame.

I say this with some confidence based on personal experience: my favourite camera to shoot with is a twelve-years-old Samsung GX-10, a re-branded clone of the APS-C sensor Pentax K10D. I choose to shoot with that more often than any of my other cameras, including my full frame Sony A7 MkII and Hasselblad HV.

And the image quality from modern, high resolution APS-C sensors is incredible. You only have to look through the thousands of images posted on forums such as these to see what's possible. Any limitation is almost always the photographer's skill and technique, not the sensor size.

So, if you should decide to buy a K-1 or other full frame camera, that's great. I certainly wouldn't discourage you. But if you still own an APS-C camera, I'd recommend re-evaluating why you don't like that sensor format - why it doesn't work for you - given the above observations

EDIT: I wonder what you'd think of the Pentax Q7 that I also love to shoot, with its tiny 1/1.7" sensor? Yet I've taken photos with the Q7 that, viewed at an appropriate size (for example, filling the screen on my 17" laptop), are all but indistinguishable from those taken with a larger sensor DSLR. I'm not trying to convert you to the Q-series, but underlining the fact that sensor size, for the most part, isn't as important as some people think

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-28-2018 at 01:14 PM.
10-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got my K1 for some of the same reasons you want one. I wanted a big viewfinder, and I wanted my older lenses to work at the ‘right’ field of view.

Shooting the K1 has made me more aware of my lenses and pushed me back into film (the folks here haven’t helped keep me out of that).

Sometimes film shooting is therapeutic, when things are a mess. The slower pace puts my brain in a different place, and it’s rewarding to pick up a roll that’s half keepers rather than digging through 36 mild variations of the same digital shot.

I use a commercial lab for my film. My enlarger is gone, and I don’t miss it. My tanks and reels are in a box and only get used when the 4*5 comes out. I miss the darkroom process far less than the shooting process... so that’s where I put my resources.

None of your choices are lousy. Even APSc isn’t as bad as all that, and I may someday get another one.

I will warn you that the K1 will throw off your sense of proportion. I recently bought (and even fixed) a Nikon F3, thinking, “eh, it’s not so big...”

-Eric

10-28-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For occasional photos digital or even a decent cellphone cam may suffice.

Digital photography may - or may not - require less physical space devoted to hardware.
However it's time you don't seem to have enough of for photography.

If quality photos remain your goal, you may find producing good digital photos takes just as long as making them using film.

Good luck!

Chris
10-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If quality photos remain your goal, you may find producing good digital photos takes just as long as making them using film.
There's a lot of truth to this... Certainly in terms of preparing for and taking photos, and to some extent in post-processing and library management - especially given the learning curve required.
10-28-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

If you find yourself wasting a 135 canister by shooting it up just so you can finally develop it, try medium format. My "Texas Leica" shoots 8 frames per roll. I don't have to wait long before yanking out the roll of course. But it can be a PITA changing film so much sometimes. And you may find you like the rich tones you get from bigger neagitves.

10-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not shot any film for perhaps 8 years now but I still have a freezer full of 120, mainly Agfa APX 25 and APX 100; there might be some Velvia 100 in there also. It is tempting to sell it and simply "be done" with film but I can't bring myself to do it yet.
10-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you find yourself wasting a 135 canister by shooting it up just so you can finally develop it, try medium format. My "Texas Leica" shoots 8 frames per roll. I don't have to wait long before yanking out the roll of course. But it can be a PITA changing film so much sometimes. And you may find you like the rich tones you get from bigger neagitves.
Given that 3 rolls of Provia 100F 135-36 cost about the same as 5 rolls of 120 (UK prices), the cost of MF shooting is comparatively cheaper - 108 (35mm) v 50 (6x7) exposures for 5 times the film area.
10-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you find yourself wasting a 135 canister by shooting it up just so you can finally develop it, try medium format. My "Texas Leica" shoots 8 frames per roll.
Is that a 6x9? I would love one of those!

A local camera retailer went out of business a few years ago and put their inventory up for auction. It had a 6x12 that had been in their rental department that I would have liked but the final price was just too rich for me.
10-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
Is that a 6x9? I would love one of those!
Yes a 6x9
10-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO 8-12 frames is preferable to 24-36.
I seldom finish the longer rolls in a day.

Bulk loading allows you to roll fewer 35mm frames if desired.

Chris
10-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I have not shot any film for perhaps 8 years now but I still have a freezer full of 120, mainly Agfa APX 25 and APX 100; there might be some Velvia 100 in there also. It is tempting to sell it and simply "be done" with film but I can't bring myself to do it yet.
You’d be guaranteed to find some interested buyers here if you sold off your film...
11-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Well I had a similar problem with digital and being a pro - I just got to the point where I hated photography. Everyday became a grind and in the end I just stopped doing any pics for myself. The cams just came out when they were needed for a paying shoot and I got to hate just siting in front of a PC editing down hundreds of pics of products, weddings and bar mitzvahs. It just drove me nuts and for ages I stopped taking pics in my own time and if I did (family outings etc) it was. with a happy snappy digital - no worrying about stops, exposure just point and shoot and let the cam make of it what it could - ta very much - no fuss photography.

I haven't been serious about photography for at least 10 years but recently the urge came back - I do a lot of hiking and the beauty of the nature has kind of fired me up and I have decided to go back to film.

If it was me knowing what I know now I'd sell off the darkroom kit and keep the cams - they may appreciate in time in value and they will always be a kind of keepsake. I sold all my SLRs when I moved to digital and very much regret it these days. They fetched pennies really - 2x beautiful Nikon Fs and a pile of Olympus OM gear including an OM1 and an OM4 - all in perfect condition. I look back and think what an idiot I was.

You never know if you may come back to it and you may regret selling the camera especially if its been a large part of your life