Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Film Camera that is like modern SLRs??

Hello,

This may seem like a silly question... but I was wondering if there happen to be a Pentax camera that handles similarly to a DSLR?? Not just a film camera suggestion, but something that has some of the handling as well (scroll wheel(s), AF, etc). I realize that there are many features that are 'digital' in nature. Not asking for it to be like my K-1 or K-5...

For context, I have a K1000, Super ME, and ZX-5 (does give AF above)... but I was allowed to play a bit with a Canon EOS 1, and really felt like it had modern controls... a bit more quality. Was trying to think if Pentax made something similar??

10-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The camera which would be most close is the MZ-S, I guess. At least for me, it handles this way. Next would be Z-1(P) although the design looks quite different (1990s smooth edged plastic).
10-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PZ-1 was the last film camera I bought. And I'd say it'd be a good candidate for what you're asking about. If it wasn't using film in lieu of a sensor, I'd say it pretty much fits the bill of a DSLR.
10-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughter has a PZ-1 that she uses for film because the controls are like the K-10 and K-50 she uses for digital.

10-31-2018, 01:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Z-1(p)

Last edited by Andrea K; 11-05-2018 at 02:39 AM.
10-31-2018, 01:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still have my Z-1 that I used in the 1990's. Z-1 / PZ-1 | The K-Mount Page

You will recognise the front and rear scroll wheels. Exposure modes : P (Hyper-P); Tv; Av; M (Hyper-M). The P mode has the Hyper-P mode that we still recognise today, so switch from P mode to Tv or Av mode by simply turning front or rear dial.
10-31-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The PZ-1p (Z-1p) has the two dials and the basic Pentax specific features, AF, modern metering. I really like it. The MZ-S is also good, but that needs aperture ring on the lens, so I do not consider that similar to a DSLR.
The main features of the PZ-1p is the two dials, AF-S and AF-C, green button, HyperP, HyperManual mode, 1/250s flash sync.

10-31-2018, 04:28 AM   #8

Any of the last generation AF film bodies like the Canon EOS-1V, Konica./Minolta Dynax/Maxxuum 9, or Nikon F401x will have most of the familiar features that were carried over to DSLRs.

Let's not forget the Pentax *ist.

Pentax *ist - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
10-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The Z-1p is probably the closest to DSLR controls - it has two control dials. The MZ-S is the youngest pro SLR, but doesn't really handle like a DSLR - it uses the lens aperture ring.
10-31-2018, 05:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Z-1p (Pz-1p) for sure. I think Pentax DSLR borrowed the design of its controls.
10-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a huge fan of the PZ/Z-1(& PZ-1p). The things that aren't great: doesn't have a battery grip option, just a passive grip which is rare. Uses non rechargeable uncommon battery. Has a plastic bottom plate that cracks. Uses an obtuse system of pf functions to control some features rather than an easy to read menu. I think there are 17 of these on the PZ-1 and while they are not things that you are likely to change every time you shoot; I used to carry a laminated cheat card in my camera bag just to know what did what in case I wanted to change one*. I think it has a single focus point.

The pros are already well covered.

* one example was how to handle the film rewind (leaderless - fully retract film into canister, or leader outside - useful for changing to a different Film mid-roll.)
10-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Z-1(p) is easily the closest. The double dial interface was copied from it to the DSLRs, it includes the exposure "number-line" (for exposure compensation, auto-bracketing etc.), the green button (named the 'IF' button). Each mode works independently and can be combined i.e. from HyperManual you can press the IF button (sets the program line), press AE lock (locks the EV combination) and then spin either dial to enter temporary Tv/Av based on the locked EV value. Or with Auto-bracketing set - move all of the exposures up/down the number-line with exposure compensation.

It also supports non-A lenses with it's non-crippled mount.
11-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Canon T90 was the last SLR I used that had DSLR style controls, thumbwheels, LCD screen etc but it was a bit of a pig and I have read they haven't aged well as the electronics tend to fail with age and they are near impossible to fix. Sorry - I know the OP was asking for a Pentax that was DSLR like. Personally I always wanted a DSLR that was more like an SLR in its controls and especially with regards too stops and speeds
11-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Around the time film SLRs started becoming like DSLRs I began losing interest in cameras and then photography.

Chris
11-07-2018, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Around the time film SLRs started becoming like DSLRs I began losing interest in cameras and then photography.

Chris
Ironically, these are the ones that got me back into film photography. I think that the closest you will find is the Canon EOS 1v. I have one and I LOVE it!