Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 03:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MX 'Made in Malaysia' version?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I always thought that the venerable MX was always 'made in japan'. It looks like I am wrong

Pentax MX 35mm Black slr camera with smc pentax 50 mm f/1.7 TESTED WORKING | eBay

Look at the base plate photo. 'Malaysia'. And the base of the mount housing is also different.

Interesting.

11-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No magic needles. Weird. Maybe a Franken-MX? Repaired with parts from other cameras?
11-05-2018, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
No magic needles.
Agreed, something is not right here. Strange film guides too...and what are the three dots at the bottom of the film chamber. Note too that the photo of the camera open has different screw placements than the photo of back of the camera, back closed.
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

...Listing photos are from two different cameras, one of which is not an MX. The Malaysia bottom view does not have a Pentax lens, either. I contacted te seller suggesting they correct the listing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-05-2018 at 09:00 AM.
11-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
.Listing photos are from two different cameras, one of which is not an MX. The Malaysia bottom view does not have a Pentax lens, either.
Well spotted.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-05-2018 at 08:55 AM.
11-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...Listing photos are from two different cameras, one of which is not an MX. The Malaysia bottom view does not have a Pentax lens, either. I contacted te seller suggesting they correct the listing.

Steve
The ASA/ISO dial looks like a Minolta X-370.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say the listing is purposefully deceptive. Seller could have mixed up the photos of 2 different cameras. If you do contact the seller, get them to knock down the price for the "defective" self-timer. They might not know you need to press that little button covered by the self-timer level.
11-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Minolta X-700 bottom.
Attached Images

11-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seller currently has close to thirty cameras and a bunch of lenses listed on eBay.
Most likely he included images that are of some other camera.

Chris

11-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As mentioned above, I contacted the seller. They responded about 1/2 hour later that they are updating the listing and removing photos of a Minolta X-300 that were inadvertently shuffled in with the MX shots. A few minutes later they added that because they have offers on the camera, they cannot edit the listing.

Steve
11-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My offer on the Pentax MX is contingent on that it was made in Malaysia.

Chris
11-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like it is not made in Malaysia after all. They have updated the photos.