Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

flash problem with Spotmatic

I have an issue with my SP1000 . I tried to use flash for the first time on this camera. As soon as I connect the PC cable to the x-sync port, the flash fires. And it won't fire if I take a picture. The FP port does the same thing, but it will fire when I take a picture.

I confirmed this with two separate flashes (Vivitar Auto 252 and Vivitar 2500 Zoom Thyristor), which seem to operate correctly on another camera.

Any ideas? Thanks.

11-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you unplug the flash from the port and plug it back in, does it fire again? If so, then it sounds like the port is shorted closed and not opening.
11-22-2018, 02:19 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you unplug the flash from the port and plug it back in, does it fire again? If so, then it sounds like the port is shorted closed and not opening.
If that were the case I would think the flash would go off again as soon as it was recharged. FWIW if I plug in a flash that's turned on and charged into the working PC port of my K1000 the flash goes off. This is not the case with my Minolta X700 and Pentax Program Plus. I'm pretty sure the manuals though advise you to have the flash off before plugging in. I seem to recall some (not all) of my flashes would trigger when you first plug in the PC cable to the flash - should I be foolish enough to have it turned on.

Either the PC connector needs cleaning, is bad or there is a fault in the wiring or switches internally.

You can download a Spotmatic Service manual from here:
Pentax Manuals

Or purchase the entire series and motor drive service manuals from here:
PENTAX SpotMatic, SpotMatic II, SpotMatic 500, Spotmatic Motor Drive Series Service Manual
11-22-2018, 04:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
OK I didn't know I should have it off when plugging in. So it seems it's probably a simple contact/wiring issue. Thanks!

11-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by peter82 Quote
OK I didn't know I should have it off when plugging in. So it seems it's probably a simple contact/wiring issue. Thanks!
There still seems to be a problem as the x-sync port should work when you release the shutter. Have you set the shutter speed to the x-sync speed (1/60 as I recall, marked in red or orange) or B?
11-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
I didn't think of that.. I was trying it at 60, and I just tried at at B... same problem. Maybe I will send this to Eric as I am about to send him an S1a for a CLA.