Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Pentax K2 - out of focus photos?

Hi,

I recently bought a Pentax K2 which is in fantastic condition externally and internally. All functions work well and I was very happy with it.

Going from a Canon AE1 with a split prism to the ground class screen of the K2 was a little disorientating at first but I have gotten used to it.

I put my first roll through it and discovered that nearly all photos were out of focus. When I looked through the viewfinder it was perfectly fine.

You can see in the attached photos that everything in the foreground (which I was focused on) is out of focus and the background, nearly to infinity in some cases, is sharp.

However, a couple of photos are in sharp focus, which makes me wonder what the problem is.

When I looked inside the camera body at the focusing screen, it doesn’t look entirely flat - it seems raised ever so slightly towards the front end. Though I’m not sure if this is just my eyes. The mirror seems to be fine.

I’d appreciate any advice if anybody has an idea what the problem could be

Thanks

11-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No attachments - sorry.
11-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Here's the photo's:
Attached Images

11-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I see what you mean. The background is in focus but not the central object which was presumably your intended focal point.

11-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I see what you mean. The background is in focus but not the central object which was presumably your intended focal point.
Yes, it's quite strange. Seems like the focus was set to infinity and therefore everything in the foreground was too close. But the focusing screen showed differently...
11-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bbrimage Quote
Yes, it's quite strange. Seems like the focus was set to infinity and therefore everything in the foreground was too close. But the focusing screen showed differently...
The mirror might be out of spec or the focusing screen may have jarred loose. The more likely cause is the focusing screen having come loose or in at an angle.
11-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The mirror might be out of spec or the focusing screen may have jarred loose. The more likely cause is the focusing screen having come loose or in at an angle.
The mirror seems to move as it should and sits in the correct position, I was thinking it might be the focusing screen. The more I look at it, it does seem to be sitting at a very slight angle, with the end closest to the lens being more upright. Does that correspond with the type of focusing issues I'm experiencing.

Thanks for the suggestion

11-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bbrimage Quote
The mirror seems to move as it should and sits in the correct position, I was thinking it might be the focusing screen. The more I look at it, it does seem to be sitting at a very slight angle, with the end closest to the lens being more upright. Does that correspond with the type of focusing issues I'm experiencing.

Thanks for the suggestion
It could but its been decades since I had that problem and I just can't recall the specifics, sorry.
11-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The focus screen in this case is the likely culprit. When changing out screens there would be times you would have to add shims to the back side to get proper focus (think cutting down one brand to fit another camera). The usual issue would be the problem you are describing, with the foreground not being focused.

I don’t think it’s too difficult to remove the screen from the K2, although I’ve never had to remove mine. Just be cautious about smudges or scratches.

On another note, don’t dismiss the mirror being out. I’ve had that happen to a camera. When i would focus to 3ft, the camera would actually be at 5ft.
11-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
don’t dismiss the mirror being out
I experienced the same problem with mirror in LX - the rubber on mirror's limiter did not keep its dimensions and focus was slightly off.
11-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don’t think it’s too difficult to remove the screen from the K2, although I’ve never had to remove mine. Just be cautious about smudges or scratches.
Assuming the focusing screen can be accessed without tearing the entire top apart. I couldn't find any guides specific to the K2 online, and the official repair manual doesn't mention anything about it.
11-26-2018, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focusing screens on the K2 were not user replaceable and were to be done by a Pentax service tech.

So not as easy as an LX, but if you know what you are doing go for it.

Phil.
11-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe you are correct. I have not done the task, but the parts diagrams seem to indicate that the K2 may be one of the models where focusing screen frame might be released into the mirror box without removal of the top plate and pentaprism.

Edit: I did some additional Internet research and am not sure this is the case. It may be best to take the camera in to have the screen calibration checked or perhaps even a full CLA.

On another note, don’t dismiss the mirror being out. I’ve had that happen to a camera. When i would focus to 3ft, the camera would actually be at 5ft.
Tis' true. Another thing to check is that the pressure plate on the film door is present and proper. Strangely enough there is the occasional used camera where this essential part is simply missing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-26-2018 at 12:49 PM.
11-26-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

There's 3 adjustment screws for the focusing the screen that are easily accessed from inside the mirror box. These should always be left alone, as they are factory adjusted, but it's possible someone turned them not knowing what they were for.

---------- Post added 11-26-18 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe you are correct. I have not done the task, but the parts diagrams seem to indicate that the K2 may be one of the models where focusing screen frame might be released into the mirror box without removal of the top plate and pentaprism.
It's accessed like the other K and Spotmatic models, removing the top cover and prism frame. It takes a bit of time and patience.

Last edited by longbow; 11-26-2018 at 01:20 PM.
11-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
There's 3 adjustment screws for the focusing the screen that are easily accessed from inside the mirror box. These should always be left alone, as they are factory adjusted, but it's possible some turned them not knowing what they were for.

---------- Post added 11-26-18 at 11:55 AM ----------

It's accessed like the other K and Spotmatic models, removing the top cover and prism frame. It takes a bit of time and patience.
Thanks for the clarification. That is my conclusion as well.

Steve