Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a Buck Knives' BuckLite multi-tool is my bag at all times - screwdriver, semi-needle nose pliers, etc....

all kinds of uses in one small package...
IMO Buck makes the best Muli-Tools. I keep one in my roadside emergency bag (my model has a few Allen Wrenches)..

12-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are TSA-compliant models but they exclude a knife blade, seriously limiting their usefulness.

Immediately after 9/11 when there was still an armed military presence in the airports
I was sent by my then employer to service some automated check-in kiosks.

When I first entered the terminal I was cleared by security along with my tool attache.
Later I realized I needed some supply from my van.
When I returned I didn't realize I still had a utility knife in my pocket.

When I passed through the checkpoint again the fatigue-clad National Guardsman drew his automatic weapon.
In those very tense times I almost single-handedly shut down JFK International Airport!

Chris
12-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Canadians it seems have a different perspective with airport security: Canada: Passenger allowed onto flight after security confiscate his bomb - BBC News
12-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There are TSA-compliant models but they exclude a knife blade, seriously limiting their usefulness.

Immediately after 9/11 when there was still an armed military presence in the airports
I was sent by my then employer to service some automated check-in kiosks.

When I first entered the terminal I was cleared by security along with my tool attache.
Later I realized I needed some supply from my van.
When I returned I didn't realize I still had a utility knife in my pocket.

When I passed through the checkpoint again the fatigue-clad National Guardsman drew his automatic weapon.
In those very tense times I almost single-handedly shut down JFK International Airport!

Chris
in the rural areas where I grew up men routinely carried a small pocket knife, so did I.

then I changed to a multitool

now I don't when I go to larger communities because of the security check points at various places

it isn't only the knife blade but the saw or punch tool that could be considered dangerous

12-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The Canadians it seems have a different perspective with airport security: Canada: Passenger allowed onto flight after security confiscate his bomb - BBC News
He "forgot" it was in his bag??? Wow.
12-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I haven't carried a multitool in my day-to-day bag since I lost my second Leatherman to airport security

Attached to my hiking/work rucksack (I'm a park ranger) I have a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit. Heavy and expensive, but all stainless and bombproof.
12-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt day to day, and I've got a Swiss Army knife in my pipe case as back up or I've somehow left my Wave at home.
I always have to remind myself to remove for flying, though I've found the above mentioned SAK in my carry on bag once I've arrived at my destination, says a lot about security who thinks my pipes are a danger and must remove them and examine them every single time I go through security...
The other tool I often have around is an Opinel knife, which is great for food preparation.

12-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt day to day, and I've got a Swiss Army knife in my pipe case as back up or I've somehow left my Wave at home.
I always have to remind myself to remove for flying, though I've found the above mentioned SAK in my carry on bag once I've arrived at my destination, says a lot about security who thinks my pipes are a danger and must remove them and examine them every single time I go through security...
The other tool I often have around is an Opinel knife, which is great for food preparation.
Aha, a Wave man like me!

And yes, pipes are a danger Robert. Grave danger.
12-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I don't carry a multi-tool in my bag and I have never needed one. I have a pair of plastic filter removal thingys that I needed last year. It was only used once.

That said, I do need a tool on rare occasions. The rubbers on the legs of my trusty old Gitzo tripod are long gone. Sometimes the lock screws gets so tight that I need a pair of pliers to undo them. But I don't carry one with me. The pliers on a multi-tool would be too small anyway.
The Leatherman crunch or surge might be big enough. The Crunch likely would be.

12-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I usually find that if I don't have some sort of multi-tool on me that I naturally need one. I'm not really sure one is needed more for film except perhaps a scissors to cut a bent/damaged film leader.

I'm a multi-tool junky. I like the simplicity of the original Leatherman multi-tool but have a small collection of various high quality American and Swiss made tools and some Swiss Army knives, including a Schrade Tough tool, Victorinox Swiss tool, the Schrade version of the Micra (I forget what it's called), the original Leatherman PST, PST II, two Leatherman Fuse (cross between a PST and the original wave, almost the perfect tool) and a dozen more Leatherman that are in various glove boxes, tool kits and rotate through my daily carry.

12-10-2018, 01:32 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
A Leatherman is always on a belt loop unless I am going through airport security.
extremely useful, over 30 years old and still in perfect working order
12-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Leatherman Micra seems ideal for use in my camera bag.
I bought two of them; one for my tackle box as well.

When folded it is tiny - less than 1/4 the size of most others.
I hope that doesn't mean easy to lose!

For a full-size model with pliers I will check out Buck, Gerber and Leatherman models.

Chris
12-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Leatherman Micra seems ideal for use in my camera bag.
I bought two of them; one for my tackle box as well.

When folded it is tiny - less than 1/4 the size of most others.
I hope that doesn't mean easy to lose!

For a full-size model with pliers I will check out Buck, Gerber and Leatherman models.

Chris
Try to avoid made in China knock offs. Schrade, for example, is no longer a US company. And a lot of Gerber tools are direct from China. Some Gerber are US made, it's hit or miss.

All Leatherman tools are made in Oregon and they do stand behind their products with the 25 year guarantee.

I'm not necessarily anti China, I just haven't been particularly impressed by Chinese versions of multi-tools, even those with the Gerber brand which are probably higher end than the no name brands.

12-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

No experience with Buck multitools, but they do make good knives.
However I recommend a Leatherman over a Gerber.
Other quality brands like SOG (no experience) and Victorinox (well made) are also to consider.
12-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMO Buck makes the best Muli-Tools. I keep one in my roadside emergency bag (my model has a few Allen Wrenches)..
what model has allen wrenches ?

I would like to find one since I need an Allen wrench to take off the Joby Ultra Plate

does anyone know of a good multi tool with Allen wrench, I am not talking about a tool with multiple Allen wrenches

I also would like some payment for the use of my wrenches, who could I talk to about that any thoughts ?
Allen

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-26-2018 at 02:43 PM.