Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax ME Super dark band on some shots, some not developing at all

Hi, my brother uses an ME Super and suffers from dark bands at the bottom of some pics. He uses various 200 and 400 asa Fuji/Kodak films then sends them off to a photo lab to be developed. About a third to half of his pics have this dark band at the bottom, as if the shutter is sticking somewhat, and one or two pics on his roll mysteriously vanish.

I looked at it using Bulb setting across various lenses and apertures to see if it sticks and it seemed fine. We then shot a roll of black and white at every shutter speed and they were all fine. He doesn't take notes on the settings he used so we can't pinpoint anything specific.

He did drop his camera before this started happening... Is there a specific part that may have suffered? I've un-jammed a couple of these before already but haven't delved past taking the electronics out the top!

Cheers!

12-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the shutter timing is off. Some are ok, some minor banding, some completely black - shutter timing.
12-05-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
Hi, my brother uses an ME Super and suffers from dark bands at the bottom of some pics. He uses various 200 and 400 asa Fuji/Kodak films then sends them off to a photo lab to be developed. About a third to half of his pics have this dark band at the bottom, as if the shutter is sticking somewhat, and one or two pics on his roll mysteriously vanish.

I looked at it using Bulb setting across various lenses and apertures to see if it sticks and it seemed fine. We then shot a roll of black and white at every shutter speed and they were all fine. He doesn't take notes on the settings he used so we can't pinpoint anything specific.

He did drop his camera before this started happening... Is there a specific part that may have suffered? I've un-jammed a couple of these before already but haven't delved past taking the electronics out the top!

Cheers!
By bottom, do you mean the bottom of a horizontal frame in normal orientation (sky at top)?

Three things come to mind. Either the mirror is not fully flipping out of the way and is casting a shadow...

-- or --

...a shutter curtain travel problem that defies easy description (IIRC, the shutter moved top-to-bottom. Simple capping would result in a darker sky in that case.)...

-- or --

...the front of the everready case is intruding into the frame.

Take the lens off in B mode and observe the mirror movement for several cycles.

Steve
12-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
By bottom, do you mean the bottom of a horizontal frame in normal orientation (sky at top)?

Three things come to mind. Either the mirror is not fully flipping out of the way and is casting a shadow...

-- or --

...a shutter curtain travel problem that defies easy description (IIRC, the shutter moved top-to-bottom. Simple capping would result in a darker sky in that case.)...

-- or --

...the front of the everready case is intruding into the frame.

Take the lens off in B mode and observe the mirror movement for several cycles.

Steve
Yes it's the bottom of a regular landscape frame. I thought it might be the strap in the way but it happens on landscape shots, and he doesn't use an everready case.

I'll keep testing it using bulb but so far I haven't seen any issues with the shutter]

12-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several years ago my ME Super was doing the same thing. I took it to a camera repair place replaced the shutter mechanism. The repairman said the shutter was dirty and sticking. You might try to (gently) blow it out with some compressed air.
12-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Remember that the bottom of the image for a landscape oriented shot is actually the top when the image is being shot.
12-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Remember that the bottom of the image for a landscape oriented shot is actually the top when the image is being shot.
Useful! thanks. maybe it's the mirror getting in the way