Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Helios 44-7 on an SV

Does anyone use a Helios 44 lens on any of the Pentax M42 bodies? I recently bought a Helios 44-7 but the rear element interferes with the mirror on my SV. Is there an adapter/spacer? Or are there any modifications I could make to the lens?

12-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If there were a spacer, you'd lose infinity focus, I think. At least that occurs with m42 adapters that contain a flange and that's only like 1 mm thick, let alone a spacer large enough to stop the mirror from hitting the elements..

I've heard that there are a number of m42 lenses that interfere with the mirror...

I have the Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 and it does not interfere with my mirror on my K-S2, but have not tried it on screw mount bodies!

Good luck!
12-14-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Any extra space you put between the lens and mirror is only going to mean you can't focus to infinity anymore.

The Zenit cameras those lenses came from typically had very small mirrors (which usually meant with a long telephoto part of the image was cut off in the finder - fine on the final photo). But Pentax and other Japanese makers went to greater lengths to use longer mirrors - but that meant certain optical designs had to be avoided: those that protruded too far behind the mount.
12-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #4

The newer SV had a modification so that the Tak 50mm f1.4 wouldn't interfere with the mirror. Perhaps the newer ones would also work with the Helios. Look for an orange R on the rewind knob.

12-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As an owner of an older SV (green R) and a Spotmatic SP, this got me wondering if all the generations of the Helios 44 are going to be incompatible? I was figuring I might try one out since they are still relatively cheap, but had success using a Helios directly on a SV or SP? Are they all too deep?
12-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
The newer SV had a modification so that the Tak 50mm f1.4 wouldn't interfere with the mirror. Perhaps the newer ones would also work with the Helios. Look for an orange R on the rewind knob.
Thanks. I have the older model (green R). Not willing to give it up since it was my dad's.

---------- Post added 12-14-18 at 02:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
As an owner of an older SV (green R) and a Spotmatic SP, this got me wondering if all the generations of the Helios 44 are going to be incompatible? I was figuring I might try one out since they are still relatively cheap, but had success using a Helios directly on a SV or SP? Are they all too deep?
Mine is the green R version. So you can cross the 44-7 version off your list. Not sure I'm willing to other versions myself.

---------- Post added 12-14-18 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
If there were a spacer, you'd lose infinity focus, I think. At least that occurs with m42 adapters that contain a flange and that's only like 1 mm thick, let alone a spacer large enough to stop the mirror from hitting the elements.
That's what I suspected. I guess I should put the 44-7 up for sale, then.
12-14-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
44-7 up for sale, then
If you're going for the petzval lens effect, I've heard the lower the 44-X number the higher chance of getting the effect.
I've also heard the Helios 44-2 made by the KMZ factory are preferred for the effect and the model has a nifty aperture preset ring.
That's what I bought anyway, and I've got decent effect on APS-C. Here's a picture of my wife with the 44-2!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
12-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Mine is the green R version. So you can cross the 44-7 version off your list. Not sure I'm willing to other versions myself.[COLOR="Silver"]
This image would suggest the 44-2 will work on a spotmatic:

Judy (Pentax Spotmatic + Helios 44-2) | I played a concert w? | Flickr

and this for sale would suggest the 44-2 won't fit on a SV (given that the sale include a m42 spacer:

Pentax SV with Helios 44-2 - PentaxForums.com
12-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is a shame that the lens does not fit. The clearance for Helios 44 variants is tight on many M42 and adapted K-mount cameras so a problem on a green "R" body does not surprise me.* Was it a Helios 44M-7 or a preset (Helios 44-7) version I had never heard of?

Steve

* I think it was just last week that a comment on this site stated that the long flange focal distance made it so mirror interference would not a problem with any Helios 44 variant. Wrong!

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2018 at 04:47 PM.
12-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

and this for sale would suggest the 44-2 won't fit on a SV (given that the sale include a m42 spacer:
They will if the camera has the red "R" on the rewind...at least they work on mine.

Steve
12-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW, I forgot to mention that Bluemoon has a Zenit B with a Helios 44 attached. I don't know which variant. It might be worth the trip to see if it fits any better. Use a cable release in B mode to get the mirror out of the way and then carefully mount the lens while peering from the rear with the back open. If the guard or rear element is too long, it should be apparent.

Steve
12-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This image would suggest the 44-2 will work on a spotmatic:

Judy (Pentax Spotmatic + Helios 44-2) | I played a concert w? | Flickr
The 44-2 will, but some of the 44M lenses can be a bit trickier. A 44M [no number after] that I used to own would interfere with my SP's mirror on the way back down if it was focused at or near infinity, though oddly not on the way up. It was one of a handful of lenses — all from eastern Europe — that worked better for me on a camera with a shorter flange focal distance and an m42 adapter than on a Japanese m42 mount camera.
12-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
The 44-2 will, but some of the 44M lenses can be a bit trickier. A 44M [no number after] that I used to own would interfere with my SP's mirror on the way back down if it was focused at or near infinity, though oddly not on the way up...

The reason for all the "eek" is that I have mounted my 44M on my both my SP and SPII with no ill effects, but never tested at infinity. I just checked and there was no problem though the 44M on the Spotmatic is about as close a fit as I would want to risk.

My Helios 44M is KMZ made. Do you remember where yours was made? It may be that those made at Valdai or MMZ might be subtly different.

Steve
12-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just checked and there was no problem though the 44M on the Spotmatic is about as close a fit as I would want to risk.
Just curious how you check? mount, click the shutter, and listen for crunching?
12-15-2018, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just curious how you check? mount, click the shutter, and listen for crunching?
One can use that approach, but there is a gentler way.
  • Camera back open
  • Shutter on "B" using a cable release with lens off
  • Mount lens set to minimum focus distance
  • While observing through the back of the camera, slowly bring the focus ring to the infinity stop while assessing clearance with aperture and meter couplings, the leading edge of the mirror and the rest of the mirror box and mount area.
  • If confident of clearance, close the shutter to release the mirror. If not, turn the focus back the other way and unmount the lens.
Of course, this will not work on cameras without a removable or swing-out back.

Steve