Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Self Timer Stuck

I have this Asachi Pentax Spotmatic F passed on to be my father. The camera has a problem which is the battery does not work so I cannot use automodus but it works well manually. I found out it can be fixed. Basically the battery does not work because of a little fault, it doesn't give the electricity. Now I have a question regarding the self timer. I pressed the self timer downwards and when i press the little button it doesn't move. Is the self timer also reliant on a battery or is it simply stuck? Please see attached pic

Attached Images

12-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the timer doesn't rely on the battery so it might be stuck
12-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would try a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the button and even under the timer switch.
You could also try flicking the timer switch down and letting it spring up. Keep doing it for awhile. It might free it up.
Another thing you could try is heating it up a bit with a hair dryer.
12-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

G’day and welcome to the forums 😊 That’s a wonderful Spotmatic you have inherited!

QuoteOriginally posted by gloco Quote
I have this Asachi Pentax Spotmatic F passed on to be my father. The camera has a problem which is the battery does not work so I cannot use automodus but it works well manually.
The Spotmatic F is a fully manual camera and does not have any auto modes. Even if the battery works all it does is power the light meter - you will still need to manually change the aperture and shutter speed.

QuoteQuote:
Now I have a question regarding the self timer. I pressed the self timer downwards and when i press the little button it doesn't move. Is the self timer also reliant on a battery or is it simply stuck? Please see attached pic
The self timer is mechanical, so it doesn’t need batteries. On older cameras that haven’t been used in a while it’s common for self-timers to get gummed up and fail through lack of use...

12-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
G’day and welcome to the forums 😊 That’s a wonderful Spotmatic you have inherited!

The Spotmatic F is a fully manual camera and does not have any auto modes. Even if the battery works all it does is power the light meter - you will still need to manually change the aperture and shutter speed.

The self timer is mechanical, so it doesn’t need batteries. On older cameras that haven’t been used in a while it’s common for self-timers to get gummed up and fail through lack of use...
Thank you very much. As you can see I am a novice but I am trying to learn I got it unstuck in the meanwhile. I used a little lube as mentioned and pressed the start button and the timer went back to its place. However now when I press the timer down again it immediately comes back again without me pressing the start button. Shouldn't it stay down until I press the start button? I am attaching a little video I uploaded on youtube.
12-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did the little silver button pop back up after the first test in the video?
Or did you accidently push it down when you reset the timer?
12-30-2018, 03:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you very much. As you can see I am a novice but I am trying to learn I got it unstuck in the meanwhile. I used a little lube as mentioned and pressed the start button and the timer went back to its place. However now when I press the timer down again it immediately comes back again without me pressing the start button. Shouldn't it stay down until I press the start button? I am attaching a little video I uploaded on youtube.
Self timer test - YouTube
The camera will work ok without an operational self timer!

I’d wait until it needs a service and then report it as a problem!

Lots use a K1000 cause it does not have a self timer to go wrong!

12-30-2018, 03:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
Did the little silver button pop back up after the first test in the video?
Or did you accidently push it down when you reset the timer?
It pops up. From my understanding the self timer should stay down and cocked until i press that little button. Not sure whats wrong with it.
12-30-2018, 03:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
The camera will work ok without an operational self timer!

I’d wait until it needs a service and then report it as a problem!

Lots use a K1000 cause it does not have a self timer to go wrong!
Thank you very much. Maybe I will take it to a technician to have a look.
12-30-2018, 03:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you very much. Maybe I will take it to a technician to have a look.
Where are you located? If it’s a camera with sentimental value it might be worth sending it off for a full service (CLA - clean, lube, adjust) - then it should work smoothly for years to come
12-30-2018, 04:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Where are you located? If it’s a camera with sentimental value it might be worth sending it off for a full service (CLA - clean, lube, adjust) - then it should work smoothly for years to come
Athens, Greece. I think there is plenty of shops around here. Yes it's a lovely camera and I really want to use it