Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Super A overlapping frames

Hello everyone,

It seems my Super A has developed some film advance issues. Starting more or less half into the roll, advancing becomes less and less smooth. It's been always this way though, and I've considered that normal, until on recently developed film I noticed few overlapping frames.

Did anyone else here had similar problems with this camera? Is this something that can be fixed with some amateur-level DIY, or does it require specialized care and/or parts replacement?

01-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using factory rolled film? Have you seen any damage to the film, primarily to the sprocket area?

It sounds like the camera lubricant is hardening and it is in need of a good CLA.
01-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Hello everyone,

It seems my Super A has developed some film advance issues. Starting more or less half into the roll, advancing becomes less and less smooth. It's been always this way though, and I've considered that normal, until on recently developed film I noticed few overlapping frames.

Did anyone else here had similar problems with this camera? Is this something that can be fixed with some amateur-level DIY, or does it require specialized care and/or parts replacement?
The supply reel shaft might be binding. If you have access to some molytone grease or graphite-based lube: between rolls of film, lift the rewind knob up almost to the point where it would open the film door, apply a little grease around the base of the shaft using a toothpick, press the knob back down into place and spin it a little. You might need to repeat the process a couple of times.

"Your mileage may vary" but this was all that was needed to make my MX film cam stop overlapping frames a few years ago.