Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Pentax LX ASA Dial

Hey Everyone,

I´m new on the forum, and hoping to find an answer to a problem i have with my LX

The problem is with the Exposure Compensation dial on the LX.

The ASA dial moves fine separately from the compensation dial but when i want to ONLY move the compensation to anything higher than 1x, it wont go there. it stays stuck at 1x. however it will move down all the way to 1/4..
Is this purely a mechanical problem? or could there be something else involved?

This is not a very big issue for me since only use the compensation very seldom. However it is annoying me a bit..
The LX got a full CLA in the UK for three years ago, so i am hesitant to send it in again just for this problem.

i hope someone here knows something about this.

02-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My old Super Program wouldn’t do exposure compensation when the ISO was set to the extreme...

What ISO is the camera set to?

-Eric
02-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
it wont move past the avarage 1X regardless the asa. So 2X and 4X are pretty much unreachable.
02-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
What ISO is the camera set to?
This is the key question - I've checked my LX and similarly to Super Program it does not allow for compensation beyond original ISO range. For example at ISO 6 I can only set 1x - 0,25x compensation, 1x - 4x range is blocked.

02-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolfsson Quote
The problem is with the Exposure Compensation dial on the LX.

The ASA dial moves fine separately from the compensation dial but when i want to ONLY move the compensation to anything higher than 1x, it wont go there. it stays stuck at 1x. however it will move down all the way to 1/4..
Is this purely a mechanical problem? or could there be something else involved?
Just to be sure, in order to move the compensation dial off the center (1X) position, you have to press the DIAL LOCK RELEASE BUTTON as shown in the Pentax LX manual. With that button depressed, you can move the compensation to 1/4X or 4X position.

There are exceptions to this. If you have the ASA set to the lowest setting of 6, you cannot move the compensation to 4X but you can move it to 1/4X. If the ASA is set to the highest at 3200, you cannot move the compensation to 1/4X but you can move it to 4X.
02-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the K2dmd the ASA ring will not move unless it is in 1x. I think that behavior is normal.
02-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you guys for all the answers.

like LesDMess says, it is indeed the dial lock release button that i have to press... im a bit embarrased that i could not figure this out on my own, but i always thought that button was only to remove the viewfinder. Im very happy this is solved!

02-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

All's well that ends well!

BTW, welcome aboard and look forward to seeing your LX and results you get from it!