Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have all but maybe the S1 - but the question I’ve always had is - how do you do a visual check of the mirror swing if the lens is mounted? I’m sure there is an obvious answer but I can’t picture it.*

* I’ve never thought to use the 7-element ST on a late 50’s camera.
  • Take existing lens off and set shutter to B or T
  • Open the shutter. If on B, lock it open with a cable release.
  • Open the film door and observe the actual mounting process from the rear. If there is a projection or other obstruction or too deep penetration, it will often be clear before the lens actually seats.
  • Fully remove lens before allowing shutter to close
I have used this method to check clearance for Helios 44 variants on M42 bodies. Like their Biotar ancestor, they sometimes won't clear stuff inside the mirror box. As you might guess the method is not foolproof or water-tight, but it is a reasonably easy screen.

Steve

03-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • Take existing lens off and set shutter to B or T
  • Open the shutter. If on B, lock it open with a cable release.
  • Open the film door and observe the actual mounting process from the rear. If there is a projection or other obstruction or too deep penetration, it will often be clear before the lens actually seats.
  • Fully remove lens before allowing shutter to close
I have used this method to check clearance for Helios 44 variants on M42 bodies. Like their Biotar ancestor, they sometimes won't clear stuff inside the mirror box. As you might guess the method is not foolproof or water-tight, but it is a reasonably easy screen.

Steve
The locked cable release is the missing logical step . . .

Given that I can find my cable release I can do this Saturday.
03-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well then, you can confirm that the 7-element lens is compatible with both version SV! Your report along with arnold's above is good enough for me. Do you have any of the below to doi a visual check against the 7-element 50/1.4?

S3/H3
S2/H2
S1/H1
K
S

Steve
I have a H1a with a ST50 f1.4 that has always worked fine. It must be the 7-element based on the likelihood I would have the eight and not know

But I think all the H1a cameras were after the ‘fix’.

-Eric
03-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
But I think all the H1a cameras were after the ‘fix’.
The S1a (H1a) is basically an SV without the self-timer and no marked 1/1000s top speed. The two models were sold over the same time span, meaning that the early versions did not have the "fix" and have a green "R". Does your H1a have a green or red-orange "R"?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.
03-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The S1a (H1a) is basically an SV without the self-timer and 1/1000s top speed. The two models were sold over the same time span, meaning that the early versions did not have the "fix" and have a green "R". Does your H1a have a green or red-orange "R"?
Red-orange...

-Eric