Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 08:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-S switching rolls halfway through

I recently got a MZ-S to try out a more “high tech” camera. It’s been an interesting experience, one small feature that I haven’t seen before is the ability to rewind the film before the end, then reload it later and have it advance to the blank frame.

The manual says to add an extra frame or two to ensure that frames don’t overlap. I did that—I’d pull the film at frame 13, then when I reloaded it, I advanced it to frame 14. When I looked at the developed negative the gap was pretty exactly one frame, so I ran a roll that I switched out several times. I just developed it and the frame spacing is perfect throughout.

I don’t know how consistently it could match that accuracy, but this is such a useful feature. Almost, but not quite as useful as the interchangeable backs on a medium format camera. When I remove a roll early, I just write the number on the tongue so I know where I was when I took it out.

03-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That is a cool feature. Whenever I try and do it manually (remove, record, and then reload later) I always screw it up and get an overlapping frame...
03-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool.

Steve
03-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I’m not quite decided yet, but I’m probably taking it as my primary camera on a trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg. The feature will be useful if I want to load some 800 or 1600 film for evening shots, then switch back to slower film in the daytime. If I do that, I’ll probably not chance it, and add a frame gap so I don’t lose any shots to overlap.

03-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wait. So you take 13 shots, rewind, come back later, put the roll back in, advance to frame 14, start shooting again?
03-24-2019, 03:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Wait. So you take 13 shots, rewind, come back later, put the roll back in, advance to frame 14, start shooting again?
Why not, if you want to change films?
03-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With my Bronica I got spoiled having multiple backs with the ability to switch backs on the fly so I could take each shot with a different roll of film. On a trip last year I was taking some shots with two or three films just by swapping backs. This MZ-S feature doesn’t strike me as convenient as that, but on my upcoming trip, hypothetically I get to the end of the day in St. Petersburg with 13 shots on my roll of Ektar 100, but I want to go out in the evening and photograph the drawbridges (they are all lit up at night). So I rewind the Ektar, load some Superia 1600, take some shots of the drawbridges at night, and the next morning I load the partially shot roll of Ektar, and have it forward to frame 14.

03-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The LX also counts down frames as you rewind.I've used it a couple of times to change rolls.
03-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Why not, if you want to change films?
I wasn't questioning the motive but more like in amazement like "wow, that's cool"
but now that I think about it, I think I used to do the same thing with the PZ1-p
It's been so long I forgot everything...
03-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I wasn't questioning the motive but more like in amazement like "wow, that's cool"
but now that I think about it, I think I used to do the same thing with the PZ1-p
It's been so long I forgot everything...
Ah ok, I getcha!

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 08:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
The LX also counts down frames as you rewind.I've used it a couple of times to change rolls.
How does that help to change rolls?
03-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #11

Thanks for reminding me. I’m bringing a MZ-S to Frankfurt and Spain. I’m planning on using both 200 and 3200 speed films.