Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #1

Me-super rapid wind lever not returning properly

Hi,
I just bought a ME-super (so much smaller than the K1000 I have!) and everything seems fine except the winder lever does not always return fully to its resting place against the camera body (It will return no problem if I manually push it back without using much force)
Is this an easy fix? or is it something I should just leave as-is seeing I only paid $10 for the camera body? Like I said it sometimes retracts back by itself if I use more of a flicking motion as I wind the lever. And I havent tried the camera with film yet but I think it will probably work.
Anyone can give me advice about this? many thanks
(new to this forum)

10-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Heldur, I would not pay to omuch attention to it really
Depending on how far it lies (maybe 15-20 degrees) it is relatively normal. If it is 90 degrees then I'd worry
I would pay more attention in replacing the light seals/mirror bumper
10-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, more like 45 degrees. Light seals seem okay.
10-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
45 degrees sounds like the mechanism is a bit dirty. It may fix itself with use.

10-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Take the lens out and push the corner of the mirror bumper
if the foam does not bounce back.... you need to replace it

QuoteOriginally posted by Heldur Quote
Thanks for the reply, more like 45 degrees. Light seals seem okay.
Full instructions on how to replace seals in Jon Goodman's KY Photo page

For the Pentax M series here (pdf)
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

This is the "stand-off distance" (I can't remember its technical name) that's not a bug, but a feature, of the M-series (and maybe others), as titrisol says. It's there so you can jam your right thumb between the lever and the body, to allow for faster shutter cocking after you take a shot.

Is the lever "floppy"? Does it just hang there?

Try loosening the screw on the baseplate, the one next to the motor-drive hatch, the retightening it.
10-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heldur Quote
Hi,
I just bought a ME-super (so much smaller than the K1000 I have!) and everything seems fine except the winder lever does not always return fully to its resting place against the camera body (It will return no problem if I manually push it back without using much force)
Is this an easy fix? or is it something I should just leave as-is seeing I only paid $10 for the camera body? Like I said it sometimes retracts back by itself if I use more of a flicking motion as I wind the lever. And I havent tried the camera with film yet but I think it will probably work.
Anyone can give me advice about this? many thanks
(new to this forum)
The wind on lever of the ME and ME Super is the meter switch. When the lever is in the stand off position, the meter is powered up, when it is closed all the way it turns the meter off. Of course setting the control dial to Lock does the same thing, but the lever is easier to manage on an outing.

10-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The wind on lever of the ME and ME Super is the meter switch. When the lever is in the stand off position, the meter is powered up, when it is closed all the way it turns the meter off. Of course setting the control dial to Lock does the same thing, but the lever is easier to manage on an outing.

Really? I didn't know that. I've had my ME Super for 27 years and always just half pressed the shutter button to activate the meter. Now I have something to check out when I get home.
10-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thankfully the Program series doesn't do that. But the KX is a pain for a left eyed person such as me - the wind lever has to be sticking out and into my face and I have to be pushing the shutter button in a bit. I could see that is sort of ok though belt n suspenderish with an Av camera, but with a manual one?
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thankfully the Program series doesn't do that. But the KX is a pain for a left eyed person such as me - the wind lever has to be sticking out and into my face and I have to be pushing the shutter button in a bit. I could see that is sort of ok though belt n suspenderish with an Av camera, but with a manual one?
Only slightly tongue in cheek - I am right eyed - but I have used cameras inverted for various reasons, usually to raise the lens that extra few inches. You can train yourself to do anything - even read upside down.
10-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Hey, you're right! I can read upside down!

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
10-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

OK, I'll learn to stand on my head when taking pics
10-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Take the lens out and push the corner of the mirror bumper
if the foam does not bounce back.... you need to replace it

Full instructions on how to replace seals in Jon Goodman's KY Photo page

For the Pentax M series here (pdf)
As soon as I touched the foam it started to disintegrate! I have ordered the kit, I need to replace the K1000 seals as well.

So according to the other posts the winder position is normal, looks like a got a good buy, just gotta wait for the foam.

Thanks.
10-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have bought 2 kits already and restored at least 10 cameras....
I need another one BTW