Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

I found an un-mentioned feature of the K2DMD

I noticed this the other day when using my K2DMD and thought I've never seen mention of it anywhere: when exposure compensation is engaged a little red/orange colour filter drops down over the viewfinder window where the aperture can be seen on the lens, so you can see in the viewfinder what is essentially a warning that exposure comp is on. Different colours for positive and negative comp would have been nice but I suppose that would be too much to ask.

I've put several rolls through the camera and didn't notice until now, but then I don't often use exposure comp. I've added a note to my review of the camera, but at least here on PF it isn't mentioned as a feature.

Have other K2DMD users noticed the feature (perhaps I'm just slow)?

I don't have either of my (non-functional) K2s to hand to check if they too have it.

07-04-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jonathan. Nice find! The non-DMD K2 doesn't have an aperture window, though.
07-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the K2 has no indicator of exposure compensation in the viewfinder. It was one of the improvements that the K2DMD added.
07-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Have other K2DMD users noticed the feature (perhaps I'm just slow)?
Yep the K2DMD has a little leaflet that you get along with the K2 manual and this leaflet explains the new features added to the K2DMD.

The K2DMD did not have a full manual of its own.

Phil.

07-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice touches such as this are one of the things that makes owning and shooting with vintage film gear rewarding. When reading the original post, I was reminded of the rarely-noticed feature on all metered Spotmatic models that flags* when the chosen shutter speed/film speed combination is outside the meter's range. I also thought of the film-wind reminder on my mid-1950s Mamiya-Six folder. The Mamiya's shutter release and cocking mechanism are not interlocked with the film wind, hence a nice flag in the viewfinder. So clever and so thoughtful.

Steve

* The shutter speed index arrow changes from black to red when outside the meter's "coupling" range. There is also a similar "shutter armed" flag on most (all?) mechanical shutter Pentax SLRs.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-04-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Completeness
07-05-2019, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I noticed this on my K2DMD. Thought it was just gunk in the window!
07-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the small leaflet/card the seller included with one of my DMD’s. I’ve never bonded with the K2, but my pupils enlarge when I pick up a DMD.

That shutter sound.

07-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since the K2DMD has exposure memory lock I have never even tried exposure compensation on mine.

Chris
07-06-2019, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is one of the "small" improvements that makes the DMD a joy to use in comparison to the standard K2, the others are the aperture readout, the split microprisms screen, the "infinitive " exposure function with eyepiece blind.

My favourite Pentax combo is the K2DMD with the K50mmm f1.2 if I want a big camera, and the LX with M50mm f1.4 or M85mm f2 if I want something light to carry.

Praktica B series have a similar orange filter on the aperture but it serves a different goal: it warns the user the shutter is not cocked.