Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 10:59 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Spotmatic advertising 1971

Hello Pentaxonians,

I found this in an old National Geographic magazine, I thought you might be interested. I attach the ad and the cover for reference.

Cheers, Steffen

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
WAS-LX3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
WAS-LX3  Photo 
07-09-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ouch! $2000 today? Were Spotties that expensive?
07-09-2019, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"List price" was 340. Most stores would have sold it for 10-20% less. In Japan, it probably sold for $160 ( I got my Spotmatic with 1.4 from Japan for $129 ). In those days Japanese companies had to have a US importer- hence Honeywell Pentax. That added another layer of cost onto the camera. Canon cameras were imported by Bell & Howell. Nikon cameras by Erenreich Photo Optical Industries.
07-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
szs

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Is it a factor 10? Would be interesting to see what the other cameras at that time cost...

07-09-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
"List price" was 340. Most stores would have sold it for 10-20% less. In Japan, it probably sold for $160 ( I got my Spotmatic with 1.4 from Japan for $129 ). In those days Japanese companies had to have a US importer- hence Honeywell Pentax. That added another layer of cost onto the camera. Canon cameras were imported by Bell & Howell. Nikon cameras by Erenreich Photo Optical Industries.
Yes of course until recently (e-commerce) the importers charged a lot of money (even 50%) foreign goods, but even with 20% discount we are talking about $1600.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 07-09-2019 at 12:11 PM.
07-09-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

They make SMC sound invincible, i.e. completely flare-proof. Not quite...

And the TTL meter was much better than a handheld meter, but far from foolproof.

Truth in advertising? Sort of.

Thanks for sharing.
07-09-2019, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sending coupons ... those were the days!

07-10-2019, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It's always interesting to see the old advertising, especially the way they were written back then. From what it says, it seems that most of the advantages come from the lenses rather than the camera, which is probably true.

I particularly like the last paragraph which suggests that some dealers don't meet the lofty standards of Pentax and should therefore be avoided .
07-10-2019, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
They make SMC sound invincible, i.e. completely flare-proof. Not quite...

And the TTL meter was much better than a handheld meter, but far from foolproof.

Truth in advertising? Sort of.

Thanks for sharing.
At that time I am pretty sure Pentax SMC was the most advanced coating available on the market and of course the Spotmatic was the first TTL camera to reach the market therefore they were boasting it.
07-10-2019, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, $340 was quite a pile of cash in those days, and yet the things sold quite well.

Since I was only a little kid back then, I can't relate entirely to how it was, but I get the idea that a young man with a good first job needed an apartment, a car, a tv and a hi-fi. After that, a good camera was definitely on the want list.

How could he contemplate spending $340 (I do believe it was possible to rent a decent small apartment for $50 a month or so at that time)? Well, he didn't need a new cellphone every few years, and a monthly contract to go along with his regular phone bill, cable tv bill, and internet bill (and Netflix account, Amazon account, HBO account, Playstation account, etc. etc.). He also wasn't buying a new laptop every few years. He wasn't buying Blu-Rays, DVDs, or video games, since they didn't exist either. He also didn't have a credit card, most likely, so no monthly bill there either.

I do get the impression that a lot of our modern conveniences come with monthly bills to nibble away at disposable income - which makes a $2,000 camera kit an insurmountable obstacle for many otherwise interested photographers.

Last edited by Ontarian50; 07-11-2019 at 07:35 AM.
07-10-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found a Brooks Camera advertisement for both cameras in the San Francisco Examiner, 26 Feb 1971. For the Spotmatic II with a 55mm f1.4 the price was $339.50, and the SP 500 with the 55mm f/2 was $199.50 (USD). Adjusted for inflation, that's $2,146.75 and $1,261.49 in 2019 USD.
07-11-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Yes, $340 was quite a pile of cash in those days, and yet the things sold quite well.

Since I was only a little kid back then, I can't relate entirely to how it was, but I get the idea that a young man with a good first job needed an apartment, a car, a tv and a hi-fi. After that, a good camera was definitely on the want list.

How could he contemplate spending $340 (I do believe it was possible to rent a decent small apartment for $50 a month or so at that time)? Well, he didn't need a new cellphone every few years, and a monthly contract to go along with his regular phone bill, cable telephone bill, and internet bill (and Netflix account, Amazon account, HBO account, Playstation account, etc. etc.). He also wasn't buying a new laptop every few years. He wasn't buying Blu-Rays, DVDs, or video games, since they didn't exist either. He also didn't have a credit card, most likely, so no monthly bill there either.

I do get the impression that a lot of our modern conveniences come with monthly bills to nibble away at disposable income - which makes a $2,000 camera kit an insurmountable obstacle for many otherwise interested photographers.
I think the main difference today is the cost of renting, in certain cases that "eats out" half of the salary of a new graduate. Cell phones, DVDs and videogames are marginal but thinking out renting an apartment for $300 today in a great city is simply a pipedream.

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I found a Brooks Camera advertisement for both cameras in the San Francisco Examiner, 26 Feb 1971. For the Spotmatic II with a 55mm f1.4 the price was $339.50, and the SP 500 with the 55mm f/2 was $199.50 (USD). Adjusted for inflation, that's $2,146.75 and $1,261.49 in 2019 USD.
As a matter of fact now that I recall among all the parents of my schoolmates in the early 80s the only father who had a "high range" Japanese SLR was a wealthy merchant who has a Canon FTb that he bought in the early 70s when he got successful in his business. Simple chromed body and FD50mm f1.8, nothing too fancy...then in 1986 or so he purchased the first "working" AF camera, a Minolta 7000, however he kept the old Canon and still now his son has both cameras in perfectly working conditions.

I think those who bought them consider it an investment as unlike moden digital ones they didn't come obsolete and were supposed to last for decades.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 07-11-2019 at 07:35 AM.
07-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
szs

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote

Food for thought.

Thank you!
07-11-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #14

I think the main difference today is the cost of renting, in certain cases that "eats out" half of the salary of a new graduate. Cell phones, DVDs and videogames are marginal but thinking out renting an apartment for $300 today in a great city is simply a pipedream.
Not to mention paying back a fortune in student loans, which most young men (and women) with good first jobs need to do these days.
07-11-2019, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AAlfano Quote
Not to mention paying back a fortune in student loans, which most young men (and women) with good first jobs need to do these days.
I am lucky to be born in a country where education was still affordable, actually the government gave me a small grant (few thousands of euros per year) to help my family as I was a very good student. But yes people with my background in the US or the UK don't get a degree or they are chocked by those loans until they retire.