Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Multiple Exposure K1000

The manual says to "keep ahold of the rewind knob, depress the film rewind release button. And cock the rapid-wind lever..." I have done this. the frame counter still advances. Ive taken a photo, used the rewind knob to tighten the film, held the rewind knob, held the film rewind release button, cocked the rapid-wind lever and the film counter STILL advances.. I've been trying with a roll of film for the past couple of days. I'm now on frame 20. And I fear I have wasted a full canister of film on trying to figure this out. Any help???

07-12-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #2

The frame counter will always advance when you do this. You just have to keep track of the number of frames yourself.
07-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the frame counter still advances because you have shot that number of frames, minus one. Since the rewind knob was being held tight, you may remain confident that the film did not advance and that an additional exposure onto the part of the roll was done. At the end of the roll, the counter will read the number of exposures for the length of the film + the extra exposures you made as multiples.

Steve
07-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I feel like an idiot now..... I probably should have waited until I finished and dev'd this roll of film .. Thank you!

07-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On the plus side, you only ruined one frame of film

It’s a lot easier with a camera that has a switch or button to do it...

The K1000 will do mirror lockup with a bit of a hack, but I’d rather use a KX for that...

-Eric
07-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
On the plus side, you only ruined one frame of film

It’s a lot easier with a camera that has a switch or button to do it...

The K1000 will do mirror lockup with a bit of a hack, but I’d rather use a KX for that...

-Eric
Yes, I find it odd that Pentax even advised the "stop the rewind knob from turning" approach to multiple exposures. Generally, it means having to rely on the drivetrain slipping enough to let the shutter re-cock. I have found that most cameras you try that on do shift the film somewhat, and when advancing to the next frame, you may get some overlap. I've never tried it on a K-1000 though, but I might consider it good practice to shoot a blank frame after your multiple, just to be sure the drivetrain has re-engaged properly.

Cameras that fully disengage the drivetrain with a proper multiple exposure button or lever are generally a better bet if you really want to do a lot of multiple exposure work. Better yet, an AF camera with a proper ME mode, where you can choose the number of frames you want overlapped. They work great (especially for fireworks and stuff on a tripod).
07-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have a Mamiya C330 that I use. I can do multiples with it just by manually cocking the shutter release in its "multi" mode. But there are times that I'd like to be able to do it with my 35mm. especially since thats the camera I take with me the most. Love my C330, but its a tank to carry around.

07-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #8

I never owned a film camera with a dedicated multiple exposure button. I've always had a little slippage using the "hold the rewind" method, no matter how tightly I wind the spool. Maybe with the help of a C-clamp or something one could eliminate slipping.
07-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah the mirror up truck is a good one... Quickly flick the shutter release and the mirror goes up and the lens stops down. It's interesting that this trick works on most Pentax mechanical bodies, from spotmatics (or even earlier I think) right through to the MX. If you've never done it, practice first with no film.

I've never had a camera with a switch for multiple exposures either...though with my Exaktas it only required a winding of the shutter speed dial (which would unwind during exposure). I always worried with Pentax and other cameras using the rewind button/film wind technique, that the film could shift a little...if the rewind is too tight.

07-13-2019, 03:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Be careful when winding the end of the film. Counter is off and you don’t want to pull it out of the canister. Also make sure the rewind wheel turns when you it to turn after your multi exposure test.