Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2023, 04:23 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It works by the film camera focussing onto some sort of translucent screen in place of the film, and a tiny secondary digital camera pointing upwards takes a photo of the rear of that screen via a 45 degree mirror.

The housing for the secondary camera and 45 degree mirror stick out the back as a significant lump. I'm not sure how you would get your eye to the viewfinder of a typical 35mm SLR.

For a moment I thought we had someone to give a report on it, but you also say you have not received it yet.

I'm not convinced you will find it such a joy with this digital back. The Leica lens quality will be lost in the translucent screen, and the lump on the back will make it feel a different camera. But please let us know when you do get it and have used it.

Yes, it would have suited an early digital adopter, and would have impresssed his friends back when most digital cameras were compacts that looked like fag packets, and the only DSLRs were astronomically expensive. I'm not sure what need it fills now. I like my LX but would feel I was insulting it to use it in a Frankenstein mode, and a digital back on it would not re-create the feel of using it in film days anyway. I would use a film camera for film and a DSLR for digital photos.
It seem to me someone with technical know how could have produced a full frame sensor back that fits inside every 35mm camera. I AM sure that would be a big hit for old camera owners.

01-30-2023, 04:10 AM   #62

Photos: Albums
It works by the film camera focussing onto some sort of translucent screen in place of the film, and a tiny secondary digital camera pointing upwards takes a photo of the rear of that screen via a 45 degree mirror.

The housing for the secondary camera and 45 degree mirror stick out the back as a significant lump. I'm not sure how you would get your eye to the viewfinder of a typical 35mm SLR.

Since the dawn of photography there has been a protuberance...it's called NOSE, and it can't be removed, and whenever we have to photograph we have to turn our head slightly. I wear Glasses I use I'm back35 and I have no problems.

For a moment I thought we had someone to give a report on it, but you also say you have not received it yet.

I'm not convinced you will find it such a joy with this digital back. The Leica lens quality will be lost in the translucent screen, and the lump on the back will make it feel a different camera. But please let us know when you do get it and have used it.

Fotos by Leica R5;
Link removed by moderator

Yes, it would have suited an early digital adopter, and would have impresssed his friends back when most digital cameras were compacts that looked like fag packets, and the only DSLRs were astronomically expensive. I'm not sure what need it fills now. I like my LX but would feel I was insulting it to use it in a Frankenstein mode, and a digital back on it would not re-create the feel of using it in film days anyway. I would use a film camera for film and a DSLR for digital photos.

I've explained it several times, but here we go:
The I'm back was designed and is having success not among lovers of analogue like you, nor of digital, but it is having success with people who forgot they had an analogue camera, and out of curiosity and the desire to reuse it in digital mode, they like the idea, and as we all know, the analogue market, even if it is growing, disappeared from the market. Well, my sole attempt is to review these cameras on the market again either with I'm back or analogically with film.

PS : The website says your system requirements are Windows or Mac. Not Linux? Hold my beer! They missed a trick there - as this thing turns out SD cards any modern OS could read them.
Use the WIFI for connect your device to your smartphone . The memory is formatted into the I'm Back device.

Last edited by pschlute; 01-31-2023 at 03:19 AM.
01-30-2023, 06:51 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
It seem to me someone with technical know how could have produced a full frame sensor back that fits inside every 35mm camera. I AM sure that would be a big hit for old camera owners.

An accessory back with a full frame sensor would be worth considering.
Even APS-C is huge compared to this point & shoot size sensor.

Chris
01-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by I'm Back Quote
Use the WIFI for connect your device to your smartphone . The memory is formatted into the I'm Back device.
that is not what he meant, he was referring to the idea that any day now it may ever really become available.

01-30-2023, 05:07 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I'm confused. The I'm Back website says "System requirements: Windows , MAC" - it is the last bullet point of the technical specification. So if I connect it to a smartphone how are Windows or Mac involved? Is there some essential software for them? My smarphone runs on Android which is neither Windows nor Mac.

Can anyone give a link to an independent review of an actual I'm Back ?
01-30-2023, 07:29 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm confused. The I'm Back website says "System requirements: Windows , MAC" - it is the last bullet point of the technical specification. So if I connect it to a smartphone how are Windows or Mac involved? Is there some essential software for them? My smarphone runs on Android which is neither Windows nor Mac.

Can anyone give a link to an independent review of an actual I'm Back ?
Good Luck this guy puts on a good show, but delivery has been 5 yrs and counting.
01-31-2023, 03:13 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Good Luck this guy puts on a good show, but delivery has been 5 yrs and counting.
That explains why I found no reviews. I did however find opinions on the delivery performance. Within the last day, there are guys in Europe saying that there is tracking showing that their item has gone to Japan.

The I'm Back website shows pictures of it fitted to no less than 25 different 35mm cameras (too small for me to identify), and offers a choice from 13 medium format ones. Surely it would have been more productive for them to have focussed their resources on developing, manufacturing and delivering backs for just two or three popular cameras such as the Canon AE-1, Nikon F-3 and Pentax K1000. Then, when media reviews say how great it is, and sales rose, that sales income could finance the development of the other fittings that the public would by then be clamouring for. Or am I missing something?

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Lord Lucan Quote

Since the dawn of photography there has been a protuberance...it's called NOSE, and it can't be removed, and whenever we have to photograph we have to turn our head slightly. I wear Glasses I use I'm back35 and I have no problems.

Fotos by Leica R5;
Link removed by moderator

Despite the attribution to myself, I did not write everything in that inner quote. In particular I did not give that strange sounding link. FWIW, the link does not show me any pictures anyway, I see this :

Last edited by pschlute; 01-31-2023 at 03:20 AM.
01-31-2023, 03:46 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you see what i mean, no one has this product on the website or any other that I know of. A pity really. good concept ,too bad he didn't implement a full frame sensor and too bad no one has one.
01-31-2023, 05:53 PM   #69
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The thread has been closed. We're being spammed by a member pimping his product.
Closed Thread