Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2019, 07:21 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My "new" Pentax H3

Hello,

Heiland was Honeywell's division that imported Pentax to the USA during the 60s and 70s. This is a Honeywell Heiland Pentax H3, simply known as Pentax S3 in the rest of the world. I believe this was the first camera to feature full auto diaphragm that allowed wide open focusing and composition and when the shutter fires a bar pushes the lens pin to close to the set aperture. I've been doing research and this camera was introduced in 1960, but production apparently started in April 1961. Some sources say it was produced until 1962, others cite 1963. So it was in production for no more than 2 years. According to research, very early samples had a max shutter speed of 1/500 but quickly changed to 1/1000. With this camera, the clip on Asahi Pentax meter was launched. The camera had a notch in the shutter speed dial to mechanically sync with the meter. Earlier samples did not have the notch.

I found this tired puppy wandering in the marketplace so I adopted it.
This particular sample has a max speed of 1/1000 but no notch in the shutter dial. So this makes it an early sample, circa 1961.
It was very tired when I received it so I took it to my workbench and did a deep cleaning without taking it apart. Shutter fires and speeds sound about right from 60 to 1000. At low speeds (less than 60) the shutter sticks sometimes. But after a few tries it seems to improve ever so slightly.
As you can see there is a small dent on top of the prism but it is purely cosmetic. No effect in operation. By the wear marks it seems a clip on meter or maybe a cold shoe lived there for a while. The mirror was cleaned. There is minor dust in the prism/focusing screen but nothing major.

So here are pictures of it Before and After:

BEFORE:

AFTER: (Yes, it is the same)

Ready to see the light again!

Dry testing was promising. Auto aperture works properly. Can't wait to use it! I'm currently testing the Revue ML (Praktica MTL5B) but after that I want to use this one.
My Pentax SV will be sent to Eric for a CLA. Depending on how much it goes I may send this one later.

What do you think?

Thanks,

07-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work ;-)
07-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well done! Always nice to see older equipment getting some love.
07-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That brings back some memories, although we didn't see Heiland in the UK. I bet many plastic DSLRs don't buff up so well in 50 or 60 years (if any still work by then...)

07-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My H3 is a Honeywell Pentax. It too needs a trip to Eric.

Though I already own a nice copy of the similar Asahi Pentax SV
I bought the H3 because I wanted a working camera made in my birth year, 1961.
I've given up on ever owning a 1961 Leica M2.

The H3 body came with gorgeous Auto-Takumar 35/3.5, 55/1.8 and 135/3.5 lenses.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.
07-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Heiland was Honeywell's division that imported Pentax to the USA during the 60s and 70s. This is a Honeywell Heiland Pentax H3, simply known as Pentax S3 in the rest of the world. I believe this was the first camera to feature full auto diaphragm that allowed wide open focusing and composition and when the shutter fires a bar pushes the lens pin to close to the set aperture. I've been doing research and this camera was introduced in 1960, but production apparently started in April 1961. Some sources say it was produced until 1962, others cite 1963. So it was in production for no more than 2 years. According to research, very early samples had a max shutter speed of 1/500 but quickly changed to 1/1000. With this camera, the clip on Asahi Pentax meter was launched. The camera had a notch in the shutter speed dial to mechanically sync with the meter. Earlier samples did not have the notch.

This particular sample has a max speed of 1/1000 but no notch in the shutter dial. So this makes it an early sample, circa 1961.
It was very tired when I received it so I took it to my workbench and did a deep cleaning without taking it apart. Shutter fires and speeds sound about right from 60 to 1000. At low speeds (less than 60) the shutter sticks sometimes. But after a few tries it seems to improve ever so slightly.
As you can see there is a small dent on top of the prism but it is purely cosmetic. No effect in operation. By the wear marks it seems a clip on meter or maybe a cold shoe lived there for a while. The mirror was cleaned. There is minor dust in the prism/focusing screen but nothing major.

BEFORE:

Dry testing was promising. Auto aperture works properly. Can't wait to use it! I'm currently testing the Revue ML (Praktica MTL5B) but after that I want to use this one.
My Pentax SV will be sent to Eric for a CLA. Depending on how much it goes I may send this one later.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Good work. So now we have examples of S3 Honywell, Heiland, and the one I have which is an Ashi Pentax S3. Mine needs a service as while a bit of lubricant above the bottom plate gets it firing OK, after a few weeks of sitting, things stiffen up again and the curtains don't fully close. Since I have two serviced SVs I have no need to go to the expense of servicing it for use. I also have a very good condition S1 but it too should be serviced if I am to trust it.
07-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there were fully auto diaphrams before 1960...for example, the 1959 Nikon F1 and Canonflex, and I think Miranda and Exakta had auto-diaphrams, though not internal, in 1958. Apparently the Nikon and Canon weren't available in stores until mid-1960. Also, the Zeiss Contarex had it in 1958, but no instant return mirror. The mirror reset in shutter cocking, similar to Exakta.... With that said...it could be the Pentax was the first with instant return mirror actually in retail outlets...

08-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Nice work on the cleanup. It looks super sweet and I hope it serves you well! It'll likely need at least new seals... by the looks of it cosmetically, it deserves a good CLA. A lot of folks seem to be hesitant to put the $60-$100 into these old cameras to get them tip-top again, but will spend $600 or more on a new lens for their digital camera and call that a good deal. I don't understand it, but I suppose it takes all kinds.
08-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Yup! It definitely deserves a proper CLA. I currently have 2 in transit to Eric. I think this one will be next at some point.

Thanks,
08-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

lovely clean up job! what a beauty.....enjoy this part of an old light box making it shine again....have done this with quite a few.....whats even better is getting it to function as well...….

recently got an ES with a very sticky mirror and got it working and love ow it sounds...its awaiting its proper clean up and seals!
09-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #11

Nice. I'm lucky to have a clean S3 with meter from my father in law. My only M42 body sadly.
06-28-2022, 01:18 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

BEFORE:

What do you think?

Thanks,
That's a beautiful clean up. Does the aluminum body have a surface treatment. For example, copper layer and then a layer of another metal maybe aluminum..
I want to clean up a camera like you did but am worried about removing any layer. If the body parts are bare aluminum stampings then I would not have to be as careful and can deal with some scratches.
06-28-2022, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

I recently bought a mint S3 from the original owner via the Marketplace. Sent it to Eric for a CLA. It is one very smooth puppy. Only problem is I don't get out much anymore, so it's basically sitting in a drawer. In the early 1960's I was using a Leica 3f red dial. Was thinking of getting one again for old times' sake, But the price for a M39 screw Leica lens in decent shape is way too much for my taste, plus the tiny rangefinder window was always a PIA. The nice thing about the S3 is the viewfinder window is totally uncluttered. I really need to get my lazy butt out of the house and shoot some film.