Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Replace ME Super focusing screen

Hi,
I recently gon an ME Super with a scratch in the focusing screen. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy one that is not working and use the focusing screen in that one to replace the scratched one,
Thanks

08-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjym Quote
Hi,
I recently gon an ME Super with a scratch in the focusing screen. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy one that is not working and use the focusing screen in that one to replace the scratched one,
Thanks
I am pretty sure the ME series did not have interchangeable screens, so I guess it will depend on how proficient you are with a screwdriver !
08-04-2019, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One can end up doing more damage as these focusing screens are very fragile. The ME, unlike the MX is not designed for replaceable screens. Try to ignore the scratch if the screen is still functional. Of course the swap could be professionally done, but that would cost far more than the value of the camera.
08-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I think I will just try to ignore it as you suggested.

08-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #5
Unregistered User

I think you can get a new one from any authorized Pentax dealer (though it would be a special order, no doubt). Or you could get a better one from Focusingscreen.com. It's fairly easy to replace 'em - see installation instructions on Focusingscreen.com's website.
08-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Or you could get a better one from Focusingscreen.com. It's fairly easy to replace 'em
While that is true for a camera that was designed for replacement focussing screens, I doubt it applies to ones that were not like the ME.

ps. I imagine the last time any Pentax dealer handled an official ME focus screen, was the last century.
08-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It looks like focusingscreen.com only does the MZ-S and 645 when it comes to film cameras...

Does the ME screen solder in?

-Eric

08-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I think you can get a new one from any authorized Pentax dealer (though it would be a special order, no doubt). Or you could get a better one from Focusingscreen.com. It's fairly easy to replace 'em - see installation instructions on Focusingscreen.com's website.
Nope!

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
While that is true for a camera that was designed for replacement focussing screens, I doubt it applies to ones that were not like the ME.

ps. I imagine the last time any Pentax dealer handled an official ME focus screen, was the last century.
This would be true on both counts.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It looks like focusingscreen.com only does the MZ-S and 645 when it comes to film cameras...

Does the ME screen solder in?

-Eric
Yes, focusingscreen.com does make screens for a limited number of 35mm film cameras using cutdown Canon product. The listing for the 645N is an empty page, however.

As for the ME Super...As noted above, none of the M-series bodies except for the MX offer interchangeable screens as a feature. Screens are replaceable, of course, but only with a part from a donor body or NOS factory replacement. Regardless of source, the replacement requires proper tools and some expertise with camera repair. Depending on body, replacement may be either done from below from the mirror box or from above after removal of the camera top plate, various electronic/electrical assemblies and the pentaprism itself. The service manual is available for download free from the Pentax Manuals site.
Pentax Manuals | Service Manuals
The ME Super manual has blown-up parts diagrams that should give an indication of the complexity of the task.

Steve
08-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd try Eric, he probably has a spare ME focusing screen and can do the swap for you.

Pentax Camera Repair

Phil.