Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #1

MX rewind button stuck

I've just bought an mx in what looks like good condition but here's the but, when you press the film rewind button on the bottom plate it stays in. cocking the shutter doesn't release it. I took the bottom plate off and watched the mechanisms carefully as I cocked and fired the shutter, nothing looked like it was trying to release the sprung loaded pawl that was in a groove on the stuck button. I carefully moved the pawl and the button popped out as it should.
what am I doing wrong or any ideas?

08-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

You can download the service manual here:
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/mx_sm.pdf
08-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I'm not home to check but I think the rewind button is linked to the sprocket left of the advance spool. If you move the sprocket forward it should release. The idea is to avoid film go backwards except when you want to rewind. Once you load film again it moves "forward" and the button will release.

This internet pic is not an MX but it is a similar concept.

Thanks,
Ismael
08-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have had another look and rotating the take up sprocket has no effect to the pawl that latches in the rewind button. Ive tried again cocking the shutter whilst watchin the mechanism and cant see anything near that could disengage it.
maybe I need to buy an MX for spares and see how that works??

08-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

If you can post a photo of the mechanism in question it would help. On most of my MF cameras there is a cam on end of the winding shaft that moves a lever that holds the button in. Normally what happens is the screw retaining the lever loosens or the lever wears down so that the cam passes over or under the lever. Usually just tightening the screw solves the problem though sometimes you have to bend the lever so it will engage the cam. If the screw continues to work loose some thread lock should be the solution.

Edit: I believe the construction of the ME is similar to the MX. This video show disassembly of the bottom winding mechanism. You can see the rewind button lever from 1:40 on and towards the end when the presenter puts it back together.

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-31-2019 at 01:42 PM.
09-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
I went to upload some pictures but I was asked for a url and wasn't able to browse my phone for the files.
is there an easy way around this?
09-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
here are a couple of pictures of the base of the camera with the plate off, the close up shows the pawl engaged

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A7100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A7100  Photo 
09-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
in the ens i bought a faulty MX and observed the rewind button. it looked the same as my faulty one but i exchanged the component and realised there was a little corrosion on my camera so i lightly oiled it with the part from the other camera and she's fine now!
05-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by emlclcy Quote
in the ens i bought a faulty MX and observed the rewind button. it looked the same as my faulty one but i exchanged the component and realised there was a little corrosion on my camera so i lightly oiled it with the part from the other camera and she's fine now!
Don’t know whether you’ll see this reply, but won’t you be so kind to explain/show what exactly did you oil and/or replaced, because I have the exact same problem with the rewind button getting stuck on my MX. Thank you.
05-23-2021, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Subwoofer811 Quote
Don’t know whether you’ll see this reply, but won’t you be so kind to explain/show what exactly did you oil and/or replaced, because I have the exact same problem with the rewind button getting stuck on my MX. Thank you.
Ok so I managed to "repair" the rewind button on my Pentax MX. In fact I did not repair anything - I just removed the screw holding the rewind button lever, removed the spring, found nothing faulty in them and put them back. After several tries of putting them back in different ways the rewind button started getting back to normal position as it is supposed to. I guess the problem really was some slight misalignment of the lever. Pretty easy to fix, as it turned out.
05-23-2021, 06:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Ok so I managed to "repair" the rewind button on my Pentax MX. In fact I did not repair anything - I just removed the screw holding the rewind button lever, removed the spring, found nothing faulty in them and put them back. After several tries of putting them back in different ways the rewind button started getting back to normal position as it is supposed to. I guess the problem really was some slight misalignment of the lever. Pretty easy to fix, as it turned out.
Glad you got it fixed, even though you don't really know what fixed it.

About 10 years ago I bought a non-working Pentax K1000 for a couple of pounds. I found some info online, removed the bottom cover and I reset a lever that was in the wrong position...... problem fixed. I sometimes wonder how the lever ended up in the wrong position, perhaps the camera got a heavy bump? The problem has never reappeared so I just get on with using it
05-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Glad you got it fixed, even though you don't really know what fixed it.

About 10 years ago I bought a non-working Pentax K1000 for a couple of pounds. I found some info online, removed the bottom cover and I reset a lever that was in the wrong position...... problem fixed. I sometimes wonder how the lever ended up in the wrong position, perhaps the camera got a heavy bump? The problem has never reappeared so I just get on with using it
I have found, from experience - heavy sigh - that if you try to force "just...one...more..pic" at the end of the roll, that this happens. This was with a Minolta, and the fix was exactly the same. Remove base plate, reset that lever.
So - never try to squeeze out an extra shot! Just load a new roll of film.
05-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I have found, from experience - heavy sigh - that if you try to force "just...one...more..pic" at the end of the roll, that this happens. This was with a Minolta, and the fix was exactly the same. Remove base plate, reset that lever.
So - never try to squeeze out an extra shot! Just load a new roll of film.
That could have been it. Personally, when that advance lever stops moving, I just rewind the film. I usually get 37 frames anyway. When the lever stops moving, you're out of film.... no point in forcing it
02-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #14

Hopefully you will read this, I've got the exact same problem. I also opened my MX and removed the spring and the screw from the lever, but after putting it back the problem wasn't fixed. Could you maybe add a photo how your spring and lever is positioned. Thank you in advance!