Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dust/fungus in FC-1 Finder

I have an FB-1 System Base which I've cleaned fairly thoroughly but I can't figure out how to get into the glass of the FC-1 apart from the bottom section. There is a little dust which doesn't bother me but it seems very slightly cloudy on one side with possible fibres, so I want check that out and remove fungus if that is what it is.

Any idea how to get into the eyepiece section of the FC-1

10-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if your FC-1 is similar to the old Olympus in this video, but there were certain parts of my anatomy that puckered up when the video maker was taking a sharp tool to the underside of the focusing screen like that!
As the beginning of the video says... It is entirely up to your skills that will determine the effect of your repair or cleaning...

Personally, I have had a stray piece of lint between the focus screen and my prism for nearly forty years that I have elected to remain there for the sake of the camera...
But, each to his own...
Good Luck!
10-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The FC-1 is an add-on finder, nothing to do with the focussing screen really.

PENTAX LX FB-1 + FC-1 (Action Finder) - £47.00 | PicClick UK
10-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see some small Philips head screws but I'm not sure if they'd get you inside or not. Is it possible for you to get some UV-A or UV-B light shining in there?
Supposedly that will kill fungus after a while. If there is any etching on the glass surfaces, you'd have to live with it, but it could stop fungus from growing any
further. Could it be there's a bit of condensation in there instead?
In the past I was able to find some small UV light tubes that weren't expensive. I just placed the article in a small enclosure made of tin foil and left it for a week
or so. That was actually on an FD-1 eyepiece. This also works well on older thorium containing lenses that have gone yellow.

10-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had the base off but can't figure out whether it's a good idea to open the top section. There is definitely some dust and there is a pale haze on one of the glass elements,