Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #1

An amazing MZ-S feature

You probably already know this. But I find it amazing that on the MZ-S you can roll your film into the canister, leave the leader out, and then come back and re-insert the film and continue from the frame you left off. I am not sure if there are any other cameras that have this feature. Do you know of any? Great way to change ISO speed, or switch from B&W to color without finishing the film you already have inside.

10-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

Very cool feature. I've been trying to buy an MZ-S, hopefully I get a chance to try this out!
10-08-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
how much do they currently go for? with or without the grip?
10-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pureanalog Quote
You probably already know this. But I find it amazing that on the MZ-S you can roll your film into the canister, leave the leader out, and then come back and re-insert the film and continue from the frame you left off. I am not sure if there are any other cameras that have this feature. Do you know of any? Great way to change ISO speed, or switch from B&W to color without finishing the film you already have inside.
The PZ-1 allows you to select the leader to stay out when rewound - but how does the MZ-S know where you left off? On the PZ-1 you just write on the leader and then advance to that frame using a lenscap and maybe give yourself a blank frame for security against slight differences in take up.

The Nikon F2 counted forward and backward frames with high accuracy and you could reverse back to a previous frame to do double exposures or reverse and remove while the leader was out. Again some value was given to adding a blank frame on reloading to be sure you didn't overlap.

10-08-2019, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The PZ-1 allows you to select the leader to stay out when rewound - but how does the MZ-S know where you left off? On the PZ-1 you just write on the leader and then advance to that frame using a lenscap and maybe give yourself a blank frame for security against slight differences in take up.
You manually move the exposure count to where you left off the unfinished roll and the camera will advance to that point in the roll when it's loaded.

Phil.
10-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You manually move the exposure count to where you left off the unfinished roll and the camera will advance to that point in the roll when it's loaded.

Phil.
So you still record it on the leader or other documents with the film. Gotcha. Just don't have to shoot a bunch of dark shots to get back to where you were. Thanks for the explanation.
10-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn’t LX have a similar feature, sans the drive motor?

10-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The MZ-S is certainly a special camera, currently I have the Z-1 and enjoy that, have had my eye on a MZ-S for a while now.
10-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I was in love with the Z-1 for years! But, I'm a convert to MF bodies now for the most part.
I set my Z-1 to leave out the leader as well, so I could remove black and white film by pulling it out by hand in a changing bag. Doing it this way meant that I'd not need to destroy the canister with a bottle opener to get the film out; then I'd re-spool new film into the used canisters with a bulk loader. The only issue I ever ran into was when I took an exposed roll of E-6 to get developed at the shop and came back two days later to find out they didn't develop it. Their logic: if the leader's out, the film mustn't have been shot.
10-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
I set my Z-1 to leave out the leader as well,
yes me too, makes it easier. my Spotmatic F gets some use too.
10-08-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Many, many cameras have the leader-out facility, either by default or user-programmable (by custom functions e.g. Canon EOS cameras like the 1, 1N, 1VS and several Nikons). It has been around for a very long time, much for the reasons you mention — switching out rolls anytime and using another film before going back. If you do not mark the leader with the last exposed frame (and blank-run the camera [lens cap on, AF off, mode to manual] to the next unused frame), you run the clear and present risk of double-exposing frames!
10-08-2019, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
If you do not mark the leader with the last exposed frame (and blank-run the camera [lens cap on, AF off, mode to manual] to the next unused frame), you run the clear and present risk of double-exposing frames!
True Story time...

I shot some slide film one night when I was a teenager. I shot a Saturday night live episode live when the grateful dead played.

I unloaded the film partially completed... But I either mismarked it or didn't mark it. I then went a few weeks later to the graveyard and mausoleum that was nearby. I shot inside shots of their stained glass.

You guessed it, I superimposed the several images. The developer couldn't mount the slides as they weren't sure what went with what. My favorite is a close-up shot of Jerry Garcia and a sideways stained glass image. They didn't match up exactly but the composite image (larger than 35mm was pretty nice looking I need to dig that out and scan it as it made for a neat shot.
10-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Doesn’t LX have a similar feature, sans the drive motor?
When you rewind the film on the LX, it does count the frame down. You can multiexpose a frame - accurately, forward or backward. Once you remove the canister, there are no guarantees for a frame accurate reinstallation of a used canister of film.

I had the Canon EOS3 and it has an infrared frame counter that will accurately resposition the frame so you can advance to the unused frame without wasting a frame to make sure you don't double expose any. I used this feature quite often - even multiple reinsertions of a canister, and not once did I double expose or even had a minor overlap.

Of course I fixed that issue by having multiple cameras . . .
10-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Could you describe the whole procedure, please?
Let say I shor 10 frames and rewinded the film to the canister, then removed it. After some time I insert the same canister into the camera. What should I do to forward the film to 11th frame?
10-09-2019, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

More laborious but I have often swapped out films by (on manual wind cameras like the MX) rewinding them slowly and carefully with my ear to the back until I hear a click as the leader disengages the spool. When I put it back in, I waste a frame to ensure no overlap.

The MZ-S does sound more convenient! Like Les, however, I now have so many film bodies I can just load a different one. The problem is that I occasionally find a film in a camera that I had forgotten about. I recently found a six year old roll of film in my ME-F which I thought had broken. Oops.

K.