Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yashica EM Query

I have just received a Yashica EM purchased on e-bay.

I knew it was a Yashica but I didn't know it was the EM model, from the photos I thought the front nameplate in front of the waist level finder was just missing but on examination and checking the serial numbers I realised it was an EM with the exposure meter knocked off, there is a small dent on the top of the lens board housing. I don't think the seller realised this.

This doesn't particularly worry me as I figure it probably wasn't working anyway and I have a good hand held meter.

The known problem stated by the seller was that the scale on the focusing knob didn't tally with the infocus position on the ground glass screen so that the depth of field would be inaccurate, I am wondering if this is a common problem or has the fact that the exposure meter was knocked off put the viewing lens out of kilter.

I did expect to have to send it away for a CLA.

Any thoughts appreciated.

10-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I heard Mark Hama was good, but I’ve never used him...

Welcome to Mark Hama Ltd.

-Eric
10-11-2019, 03:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mark did an excellent job on my Yashicamat 124G but he does come from the "Eric" school of communication, i.e., terse in the extreme.
10-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both, I do know about Mark Hama, the problem is that he is in the US and if I send my camera to him or somebody similar in the UK I will be charged Import duty, vat and tax collection fees from anywhere outside the EU, so I need somebody in the EU. I am assuming that the UK leaves the EU at the end of the month. I bought something from the US recently and was presented with a nice bill from customs before they would release it.

10-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might check out the list of repair facilities worldwide here : Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com
They may also do other brands besides Pentax. Good luck!
10-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dangit. I’m on my phone, so I can’t see the profile thing that says where you are...

I wonder if there’s an easy way to fix that...

-Eric
10-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Dangit. I’m on my phone, so I can’t see the profile thing that says where you are...

I wonder if there’s an easy way to fix that...

-Eric
I'm in the Kingdom of Kerry, down in the South West corner of Ireland by the Atlantic Ocean, of course there hasn't been a king for millennia but its still known as The Kingdom, we don't worry about minor technicalities.

10-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have only had one experience with Mark Hama. I sent him a Pentax K that Eric declined to repair. Mark repaired the issue, albeit, he had the camera for over a year, if I remember correctly. When I got it back, it would not focus to infinity, a problem that it did NOT have when I sent it to him. I sent it back under warranty and he has had it for about three months this time and I'm still waiting to hear from him on it. I can't really say if he is what I would call a good repairman at this point, having only used his services one time, but I will caution you that if you send him something, it may be an excruciatingly long time before you see it again.
10-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve had Mark repair a Sawyers TLR (4x4 - 127 film) and do a CLA on a Nikon F. Neither needed parts, and in both cases the work was done well and took just a few weeks. Both were earlier this year.