Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which body is best for a beginner

I really fancy shooting with film. I have three camera bodies to choose from. All have dirt in the focus screen the options are

Pentax S1a. This is in really good condition and everything seems to work

Yashica J5 the focus screen on this is dirtier than the S1a. I would presumably need a battery for the meter, or buy an external one lol (I have a Leningrad somewhere) once again, this is in great condition

Spotmatic. The shutter sticks on this but overall it seems to be OK, but I suspect it would need some work

Of the three, which do you think would best suit someone having a dabble with film? Also, is a sticking shutter combined with a stiff metering lever generally synonymous with a very poorly camera, and, given the working condition of the other two, is it worth spending money on?
Thanks

10-11-2019, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The most funtional one would be best although I wouldn't consider one without an accurate meter suitable for a beginner.
BTW, with the abundance of bodies around, why are thise the only choices?
10-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a H1a, which is basically the same as the S1a, and I prefer its ergonomics to the spotmatics. I use a light meter app on my phone.

That said, I’d use condition and ergonomics as the deciding factors as most of the rest is the same. Though if you really want a built-in meter or self timer, that helps decide as well.

Focusing screens can be cleaned by an amateur, carefully, with various levels of success.

I’d suggest getting your favorite of the three cleaned up and adjusted professionally. That will help ensure the shutter speeds are right and everything else works as it should.

Then, you’ll have at least one body with everything working...

-Eric
10-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The most funtional one would be best although I wouldn't consider one without an accurate meter suitable for a beginner.

These are the ones I have already I bought them to get the lenses as it often works out cheaper that way. The yashica is more functional than the s1a but it is also bigger. Very nice though.

10-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
These are the ones I have already I bought them to get the lenses as it often works out cheaper that way. The yashica is more functional than the s1a but it is also bigger. Very nice though.
The simplicity of the S1a is to me one of its strongest points.

If I need a self-timer, I’m probably not shooting film

You will need a meter, though; handheld is fine... but many of the old ones floating around are way off...

-Eric
10-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most funtional one would be best although I wouldn't consider one without an accurate meter suitable for a beginner.. . .
I would concur

why use one with known problems
10-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Eric said just below you, phone apps are pretty handy if you don't mind needing a smartphone. I nailed the exposure on a full roll of Kodak Gold 200 on a ME with busted meter.
That said, better to have the meter.

Speaking of the ME, Cerebum, if you prefer a K-mount camera there are a lot of MEs and ME supers out there for very cheap; huge finder and very small and cute cameras. Ergonomics are somehow good enough for my big hands (which also love holding the K-1).

10-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have a S1a, then just download a light meter app, calibrate it against your digital and you’re off!
10-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys i was leaning towards the s1a partly because of its simplicity but also because of its antiquity. It came with a tak 55mm f2 and a preset 135mm, not to mention a flash grip, a weird teleconverter and an old flash, all for £25 The s1a feels nicer than the yashica which is taller. Are there any issues regarding particular m42 lenses fouling on the mirror? I have some tremendous M42 lenses from 28mm-135.

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 06:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
If you have a S1a, then just download a light meter app, calibrate it against your digital and you’re off!
Can you recommend a light meter app for android?
10-11-2019, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not @Microlight, but mine is simply called Light Meter - Free. Icon is a weird symbol with "F/16" written underneath. Works nice enough!
10-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

These are the ones I have already
Reminds me of the lyrics to a song, "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
As Eric said just below you, phone apps are pretty handy if you don't mind needing a smartphone. I nailed the exposure on a full roll of Kodak Gold 200 on a ME with busted meter.
That said, better to have the meter.
After very little practice - and films ultrawide latitude, I can now shoot with no metering at all especially in daylight conditions. Just enjoying a clear viewfinder is rewarding!

I suppose "beginner" also has a very wide latitude for interpretation . . .
10-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry; I’d recommend Pocket Light Meter, but I have an iPhone, and don’t know whether it’s available for Android.
10-11-2019, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Reminds me of the lyrics to a song, "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

After very little practice - and films ultrawide latitude, I can now shoot with no metering at all especially in daylight conditions. Just enjoying a clear viewfinder is rewarding!

I suppose "beginner" also has a very wide latitude for interpretation . . .
I'm a beginner with film but know my way round digital, in fact, I know just enough to cock it up spectacularly
10-11-2019, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeh, I’m in that club.
10-11-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I'm a beginner with film but know my way round digital, in fact, I know just enough to cock it up spectacularly
Except for slide film, most all others are forgiving of extreme overexposure - specially compared to digis as shown below.

So if you're coming from digi, keep in mind that with most all films, always err on the side of overexposure.