Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I have a couple... never thoguht they would be a big deal
HA! This has become one of my most popular threads

10-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had one of these in my film days starting in the 1970s. Being able to put a camera on the tripod and have a self-timer or a delayed shutter was very useful. It made a great mechanical sound, like buzz, which I'm sure were the gears spinning inside as it slowly extended the plunger.

It's cool to see one again. I wonder, if I dig around in a couple boxes, if I'll find my old one? hmmm...
10-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Not my picture, but it's a good illustration of a second self-timer model I own but have never used:

You might note that it doesn't have the standard cable release pin, but rather a little semi-circle clip at the end.

As you cock it, the distance between the clip and the main body of the timer increases. You were meant to loop that under the collar of a cable release cable, cocking the timer enough that a little indentation in the body just rested on top of the release button. Then as the timer wound down it would pull the main body of the timer closer, squeezing the release and eventually triggering the shutter.
10-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #34

I had one of those timers for use on a couple of cameras. The problem I had back then is each camera had a different level for the internal shutter button. As I went back and forth using the cameras I had to readjust the depth of the timers plunger that pushed the cameras shutter. Heaven forbid that I would think to buy 2 timers!!!

10-24-2019, 03:07 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So really, something like this would be the coolest, right?

Pentax H1a with 50mm f1.4, "square" meter, self-timer, and stereo adapter...

Now that I think about it, I've never shot this particular combo...

-Eric
10-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Eric,

Now that's a cool setup! Now I need to hunt for those stereo adapters...

Thanks,
10-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Not my picture, but it's a good illustration of a second self-timer model I own but have never used:

You might note that it doesn't have the standard cable release pin, but rather a little semi-circle clip at the end.

As you cock it, the distance between the clip and the main body of the timer increases. You were meant to loop that under the collar of a cable release cable, cocking the timer enough that a little indentation in the body just rested on top of the release button. Then as the timer wound down it would pull the main body of the timer closer, squeezing the release and eventually triggering the shutter.
That one of the same that I have.

10-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
So really, something like this would be the coolest, right?

Pentax H1a with 50mm f1.4, "square" meter, self-timer, and stereo adapter...
Definitly the coolest setup!
10-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That one of the same that I have.
I've actually been afraid to use it, given how much pressure it exerts on the release.

The instructions that came with mine — since lost — even advised to snip the end of the cable release to just long enough to trigger the camera.
10-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
The Pentax SV / H3v has the coolest self timer ever built in a camera
I've never seen the SV/H3v in person and I can't tell from the photos in the reviews section of PentaxForums, so I'm intrigued. It doesn't have the lever on the front of the body like later models.
10-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

It works like this:

Thanks,
09-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #42
Harbaror

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if this mechanical self-timer will work with the Pentax K1000?

Thank you for your help in advance.

????! - ASAHI PENTAX ?????? ???????
09-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if this mechanical self-timer will work with the Pentax K1000?

Looks as if it would, it has a standard looking cable release fitting and my K1000 has a shutter release button fitted for the same. Dont know if all K1000s have the same button but would think it likely.
09-23-2020, 02:59 AM   #44
Pentaxian

It has often been recommended for the K1000. The K1000 is a fine camera; it was a re-launch of the KM with slight modifications and it is regrettable that the KM's self-timer was omitted.

The companion (or alternative) to this device was the pneumatic bulb with a long rubber tube to an actuator on the camera shutter button. The father in a family friendly with ours when I was young had one, and I still have some group pictures with the guy at the edge of the group with a hand behind his back and with the tube in the foreground. I saw one on Ebay recently among a big heap of photographic junk (for a bonkers price); I'm not saying the pneumatic actuator was junk but most of it was, and I nearly linked it on the "Worst of Ebay etc" thread here.
09-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi,

I am 99.9% sure it would, but keep in mind you need to "calibrate" it by adjusting how much the pin extends. Too shallow and it will not trip the shutter, too long it can jam or break.

Thanks,
Ismael