Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Modifying an M42 to K adapter

Hi,
I have an M42 to K adapter with some inherited kit which I’d like to use with an old Pentacon lenses.
Removing these adapters is a pain (right?), so I’m wondering about semi-permanently attaching it to the lens.
Because these adapters lock in I’d have to remove the locking tab/spring thing.

Any thoughts? Bad idea? Cheers!

10-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A genuine Asahi/Pentax adapter ring or third party?

Does the Pentacon have an A/M switch? If not you will need a third party adapter with an inner rim that pushes in the aperture pin, or modify the lens to keep the pin pushed in. If the Pentacon is a pre-set there is no problem...
10-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't do it to the Pentax version since it's pretty well made. but I've done this with inexpensive third party ones. But when I remove the spring it just means the lens can be removed without depressing the tab spring.
10-27-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flush mounting adapters have the locking spring held on by a single screw. It's easy enough to just remove it and the spring. You don't need to do anything more than that. I leave a dedicated adapter without spring on many of my M42 lenses. I just tighten them by hand on to the lens and never have a problem with them coming off the lens, and I don't have problems with the lenses coming off the bodies, even though the locking spring is removed.

10-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The only negative thing I can see is your lens can turned and removed without pressing any button, so you can drop it accidentally.
I modified an M42-PK adapter too for my Helios.
10-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Beepaitch Quote
Removing these adapters is a pain (right?)
Not if if the adapter is genuine Pentax. With those, removal is easy. As for doing a permanent mounting with the spring removed, that is a common strategy on this site.

Steve
10-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Removing these adapters is a pain (right?)
Depends. The OEM one is not hard to remove at all.

Because these adapters lock in I’d have to remove the locking tab/spring thing.
I wouldn't do that to an official Pentax one. First, they are not hard to remove and second they are too valuable to modify. The third party adapters come in a range of quality with the poorest being pure junk and the best being almost but not quite as good as the Pentax one. If you want to leave an adapter on a lens just buy a good third party one and remove the locking tab and leave it on the lens.

I have several third party ones that stay permanently on several lenses but for most lenses I use an official Pentax one and unscrew the lens as needed. Basically all the smaller lenses get unscrewed and a couple of really big lenses have a permanent adapter as they are awkward to unscrew.

10-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok thanks all, seems the consensus is ‘don’t modify a genuine one’. I am completely new to Pentax so have no idea what’s worth a bit and what’s 10-a-penny.
I’ll have a good look at it tomorrow to see if it looks genuine, and whether the locking spring is held in my a spring. All I know for sure is my grandad bought it in early 90s when he got a P30T.
Cheers, sleep time over here!
10-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ok decided to check now while you’re all on the subject. What do you reckon, genuine or repro?
Attached Images

10-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not original
10-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, not original. One of the signs is the original will have blackened surfaces that are internally facing for reducing reflections. I've had decent luck with generic adapters like what you have, and it's a prime candidate to remove the screw and spring and leave it on a lens. I also don't know what the taboo is on doing it to a genuine one. These ain't hen's teeth. You can find them on eBay for around $30-35 pretty typically. Just don't loose them and you can put it back if you want.
10-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen people use adapters that are secured with the type of loctite that isn't permanent.
10-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think he just wants the retaining spring lock to be removed for easy removal from the lens without having to use a tool or a screw driver to remove the Adapter from the Camera Body.
Just unscrew the tiny screw holding the spring to the Adapter Body.
In case you want a firm grip of the Adaptor on the lens just use some rubber glue on the threads. This way the Adaptor will not stay in the camera Body. And if required you can screw out the Adapter again from the Lens albeit with a little force or by using a softening liquid like WD-40.
10-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #14

My original adapter doesn't have any paint whatsoever. Engraved Pentax. Finer engineering than the above. I would remove the spring and clip and bin them.
10-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On some you can remove the spring and screw and put the screw back in to hold the adapter tighter against the threads.