Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Spotmatic Film Lever Won't Advance (Ideas Wanted)

Hello all,

I'm back again from that post asking how to take apart my Spotmatic. I fixed the first issue (The shutter wouldn't fire) but didn't realize that was only part of a bigger issue of the whole mechanism being jammed. Thing is, I can't tell where is the source of the problem, and how to "reset it" if you will.

So, here's the issue. The shutter button can move up and down now, but it doesn't do anything. Just trips one of the mechanisms near the mirror box, which isn't primed and so it doesn't do anything. Okay, so it's acting like I haven't primed it with the film advance lever. The film advance lever won't budge. You can see from the picture of the bottom of the camera it's not primed there either, and I cannot manually move anything to get it into place, much like the fix for it not catching.

Any ideas? I am really stumped on this. I took pictures of what it looks like to see if there's anything obvious about the position of anything that seems out of place. Or, if there's just a go-to "try this" kind of fix I can try.

This video has been helpful for me to see what pieces are supposed to be moving. For me, it just seems like not being able to advance the film lever is holding me up, but can't see where it's jammed...

Thanks ahead of time. It's just a little project of mine, I'm not upset if I can't fix it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 

Last edited by Snapppy; 10-29-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: adding pictures
10-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #2

Just cover it with chocolate and not worry about it.

All kidding aside a couple of service manuals are available online:
Pentax Manuals
02-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #3

Hello I am having the exact same issue with my spotmatic camera and happened suddenly. I have done several full tear downs and CLAs on the spotmatic but have never had this happen. I can’t seem to track down where the jam is, did you have any luck getting it fixed?