Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As was already mentioned, they both have their fans, but all of those fans for the most part very much like the other. For my part the MX is the one camera I'd always keep. I have three. I also have a KX and I do like needle metering, but I've actually always liked the LED metering of the MX because I shoot in dim environments fairly often. At the end of the day, they are actually remarkably similar and were contemporaries of one another during that production time.
And as was already mentioned, you'll likely wind up with both one day if you like whichever you choose now (and you will, I'd wager).
I'd largely make your choice based on size preference for the time being - there's just not a whole lot else aside from meter and size handling to differentiate the two.
But even that said, compared to larger SLRs of the era, I'd still consider the KX to be rather "middleweight". The MX is very similar to your OM2 in size.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 01:11 PM ----------

It's also worth noting that it can depend on your lens selection. If you primarily have "M" or "A" lenses in K-mount, the MX makes perfect sense. But if you'll mostly be mounting K series glass (or even larger M series) then you'll benefit from the KX's larger size. I've always opted for smaller glass and that likely play a huge part into why I prefer the MX.

10-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
I'll keep an eye out, that's not a model I've seen in person before. I'm not against electronics completely, i've just had some strange results with (albeit very cheap) other "new" cameras.[COLOR="Silver"]
Have a read here: Pentax SFXn / SF1n - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
10-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In reality, Pentax made a lot of nice cameras, and we all have our favourites. There are a few unloved ones (A3/A3000 anyone?) but even the ones that, after 40 years, are likely to be a bit unreliable have fans. I am very fond of my ES / ESII combo, and live in fear of the electronics failing as they would likely be unrepairable. I often think of my cameras in pairs (one for colour, one for BW), so my LX / MX often have an outing, my ES / ESII, my "chrome" ME Super and black ME Super, and so on.

After two decades where I only had two camera bodies: an ME Super (until it died) and then an MX (until it was stolen), I find the fact the KX has to have the wind-on lever sticking-out to meter really annoying because I always forget and wonder why the camera isn't working... It isn't the KX's fault, and if I had started with one I'd probably not even notice!

The fact that many film bodies are now, relatively, cheap means that I can have the luxury of having far too many of them and picking which one I am going to use on a whim. The downside is forgetting a camera has a film in it, and the fact that cameras need to be used and so some of my less-liked ones don't get enough exercise. At the moment my LX has Ektachrome in it, my Horizont has out-of-date Kodak BW400CN, the Ondu pinhole Ilford Pan F and I have ten sheets of 5x4 loaded into double dark slides of which I have shot four. Earlier this year I bought three rolls of Lomo 110 film to find the 110 camera didn't wind on... I need to find a reasonably priced working body.

Have fun!
10-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

The fact that many film bodies are now, relatively, cheap means that I can have the luxury of having far too many of them and picking which one I am going to use on a whim. The downside is forgetting a camera has a film in it, and the fact that cameras need to be used and so some of my less-liked ones don't get enough exercise.
This is me to a T. I'm actually psyching myself up to thin the herd. It's been a wonderful decade of acquiring so many varied and lovely cameras, but the truth is I can't shoot them all enough! It's time to pair down a bit to just the essentials... Though my definition of "essentials" sure has taken a turn toward the bloat in the past 10 years.

It's endlessly cool to be able to pick and choose (on a whim like you mention) which body I'd like to take for a spin, but after a while there are definitely those that have been neglected, and though I'd like to continue to have something akin to a History of Pentax" shrine in my workspace room, it means that some fantastic cameras that I just don't quite jive with personally are not out there capturing images.