Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 03:41 AM   #1

A DSLR as a test rig only

This might be a mad idea.
Whilst I have no intention of shooting on a DSLR in the near future* - I really do want to test out a bunch of lenses for sharpness, fungus effects, tone etc, and doing so with film is expensive!
So I'm wondering about picking up a nearly-dead K-mount DSLR just so I can do some lens tests, get to know the lenses a bit more that way, then use the 'in the field' on my ME Super.
It wouldn't need AF, or working AF, and I could live without most of the clever newer features. A 6MP unit would serve me fine I think.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking... just sharing an idea.

* I've returned to photography for the slow art and tinkering aspects of it. 'digital' ruined this for me previously. Each to their own etc.

11-01-2019, 03:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're after tests of older lenses, you might want to look for a K30 or K50 with "aperture block failure".
They'll work with older lenses, and they're newer than 6Mp...

-Eric
11-01-2019, 03:56 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For lens testing, you probably want to assess performance across the entire frame of the intended format - so if your intention is to use the lenses on a 35mm film camera, you'd want to use a "full frame" digital body for testing. The cheapest full frame option would be a well-used Sony A7, but that's still going to cost several hundred dollars
11-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

For tests a DSLR is good enough?

11-01-2019, 05:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I've posted a wanted
11-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have seen K20s and early K5s for as low as $100. However, as Mike mentioned, you will not be able to test the complete frame.

Thanks,
11-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You would definitely not be testing 'apples to apples' under such a scenario. As others have mentioned, the "crop" sensor on most DSLRs would cause a lens to function somewhat differently on a DSLR than on a 35mm. The effective focal length of a lens on most DSLR bodies is about 1.5x what it is on a 35mm or full frame DSLR. Therefore, a 28mm lens would move from the wide angle to normal view range, equivalent to approximately 42mm, and a 50mm lens would become effectively a short telephoto, equivalent to roughly 75mm.

That said, there are plenty of inexpensive older Pentax DSLR bodies that can be had for relatively little money. The K10D and K200D can sometimes be found in the sub-$100 range, as can entry level bodies like the KX, KR and KM (aka K2000).