Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
I imagine his reaction will not be unlike that of my son the first time he rode in my '83 Suburban and I told him to roll down the window. Utter confusion.
Mom, Dad, I can’t get the Bluetooth to pair with my phone...

-Eric

11-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
I imagine his reaction will not be unlike that of my son the first time he rode in my '83 Suburban and I told him to roll down the window. Utter confusion.
"What do those big knobs on the doors do?"

Power windows were the rare luxury when I was growing up, and now they're standard on almost everything.
11-16-2019, 04:39 PM - 5 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
True conversation about 12 years ago...

"what are those big thin books on your shelves..."

"They are record albums, you play them to make music..."
11-17-2019, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #34

There's the old Billy Crystal joke, "Dad, is it true Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings?"... and now the kids don't even get that reference.

11-20-2019, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Ok Boomers...

Wrong crowd?
11-20-2019, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Ok Boomers...

Wrong crowd?
I'm sure there are lots of "boomers" (me included) in the film forum, goes with the territory.

Phil.
11-20-2019, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Ok Boomers...
Wrong crowd?
No, I think you have basically exactly the right crowd

-Eric

11-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first 35mm camera was a Pentax K1000 and I still have it today.
11-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm in a similar situation, a few weeks ago I bought an LX that has a lazy mirror - it works but it pauses in the middle for a second or 5 (different each time). I am not sure when I'll get it fixed but it came with 7 great manual focus lenses and I'm able to use 5 of them so I'm not complaining (2 have issues).

I heard the LX is more expensive to CLA than other Pentax SLRs, is that true?
Yes, the LX is expensive to service. It has many interior seals that must be replaced and has complicated electronics. My understanding is that many of the parts are difficult or impossible to procure. I have a mint example of an LX serviced by Erik, but I have only used it once, as I prefer the simpler all manual MX.
11-20-2019, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

this year I started collecting cameras most are nothing really special but I enjoy cleaning them up, get in running order if possible......have a several waiting their turn for a roll, a few have rolls going thru them.....have only finished 1 roll, its really neat and special being my first roll of 120!!! from a yashicaflex TLR I got off ebay for $45......alotta fun...it's something to slow down to read a light meter and bob n weave for composition.....

11-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #41

The good news is that once you get it back, you'll have a camera for life. My KX has to be in the neighborhood of 42 years old, and the last time it was serviced was... er... never. Just ran my first roll of film through it in 20-plus years and though I haven't seem the results yet, it seems to be working just fine. The Pentax Ks really are built to last forever. My KX came from my grandfather, and I'm sure your K1000 will be working just fine when your future grandkids are ready to start shooting!
11-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Yes, the LX is expensive to service. It has many interior seals that must be replaced and has complicated electronics. My understanding is that many of the parts are difficult or impossible to procure. I have a mint example of an LX serviced by Erik, but I have only used it once, as I prefer the simpler all manual MX.
I'd be more than happy to send you my bright-cap MX (one of three) also serviced by Eric not terribly long ago in exchange for that LX.
11-25-2019, 01:41 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I'd be more than happy to send you my bright-cap MX (one of three) also serviced by Eric not terribly long ago in exchange for that LX.
I regard it as a part of my collection, and I would not want to suffer a loss if I sold it. I enjoy handling and firing it once in a while. The chap who sold it to me (just serviced by Erik but never used until my first roll) sent me some information with it.

"According to the stripdown report from the Aug 1981 Popular Photography magazine - back in the day when they would actually take cameras apart to review the internals, they stated that Pentax had never lavished so much attention to any other camera before and that all internals were manufactured with hardened steel (and other top materials as appropriate) with lots of ball bearings. And of course it was the most weatherproof camera to date - much more than the Canon New F-1 and Nikon F3 released at the same time, and production samples were even rain tested at random."
11-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I regard it as a part of my collection, and I would not want to suffer a loss if I sold it. I enjoy handling and firing it once in a while. The chap who sold it to me (just serviced by Erik but never used until my first roll) sent me some information with it.

"According to the stripdown report from the Aug 1981 Popular Photography magazine - back in the day when they would actually take cameras apart to review the internals, they stated that Pentax had never lavished so much attention to any other camera before and that all internals were manufactured with hardened steel (and other top materials as appropriate) with lots of ball bearings. And of course it was the most weatherproof camera to date - much more than the Canon New F-1 and Nikon F3 released at the same time, and production samples were even rain tested at random."
Indeed. I'm well familiar with the lovelies. I've had two. The better of which (or so I thought) I kept and used for a couple years before finally sending to Eric 4 years or so ago. It's is a wonderful camera, but it's AE system suffers from tired circuitry which freezes the shutter briefly every so often. Were they a tad more reliable they'd be my favorite 35mm machine. I adore they everything about them from the VF to the size and handling in general.
11-25-2019, 04:39 PM - 5 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Indeed. I'm well familiar with the lovelies. I've had two. The better of which (or so I thought) I kept and used for a couple years before finally sending to Eric 4 years or so ago. It's is a wonderful camera, but it's AE system suffers from tired circuitry which freezes the shutter briefly every so often. Were they a tad more reliable they'd be my favorite 35mm machine. I adore they everything about them from the VF to the size and handling in general.
"Tired circuitry" is why I tend to avoid cameras with electronics. (Not an option with a DSLR). The S series, Spotmatics, K series and the MX are all cameras that are as reliable as one can expect and meet my needs.
Yes, the LX is amazing with its exposure control, but I think I can manage with the MX. Don't remember my Kodachrome settings here taken at night, but one can manage without the assistance.
[IMG][/IMG]