Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

AP UK - Film is Fabulous

For those that don’t follow/read Amateur Photographer, you might like to read this: What are the benefits of film photography?

(sorry just noticed the article is behind a newsletter wall. Annoying!)

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-10-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Fixed strange link
11-10-2019, 09:17 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evolving from film into digital as I did, then it’s possible to appreciate that these are two closely-related branches of the same art. It’s not a case of film or digital being ‘better’ (whatever that means), they are just different ways to make images. I routinely shoot with digital, but I have two film cameras currently loaded, the Spotmatic SL and the K2.

This is an analogous to the analogue vs digital recorded music tech discussion, but I’m not going to get into that here!

There’re advantages to evolving this way with photography as certainly I’ve found that old habits carry over, the biggest one being being frugal with the number of frames taken. So unless there’s an absolute need, it’s one frame at a time for me, like it is with 24- or 36-exposure film.

It influences video too; when I take video, it tends to be in short takes, with a whole video not lasting much longer than an old Super-8 film would.
11-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going out taking pictures tomorrow with my K-50 and a 6X7 camera. Each requires its own mind set.
11-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I am going out taking pictures tomorrow with my K-50 and a 6X7 camera. Each requires its own mind set.
So for half of tomorrow you’ll be out of your mind?

I have a hard time shooting film and digital at the same time. I’m glad you can handle it.

I always end up shooting through the film faster than I meant to or leaving the digital sitting in the bag during something it would be better at...

In retrospect, I do the same thing when I shoot film in mixed formats...

-Eric

11-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
2B1
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
it’s possible to appreciate that these are two closely-related branches of the same art. It’s not a case of film or digital being ‘better’ (whatever that means), they are just different ways to make images.
A good explanation.