Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both K2 & KX cameras. I shoot with the K2 a lot because it has my favorite shooting mode: Aperture Priority.

I never use the KX because it is so annoying to have to half-cock the film advance lever before half pressing the shutter button to get a meter reading. On all my other Pentax cameras, I only need to half-press the shutter button to get a meter reading. So annoying.

Last edited by Moe49; 11-20-2019 at 07:52 AM.
11-20-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Collectable K2s, KXs or KMs?

Maybe these:
KX Motor Drive
KM Motor Drive
Chrome K2DMD

and

K2, KX, KM Japanese Store Demos

Last edited by Moe49; 01-09-2020 at 08:07 AM.
11-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Collectable K2s, KXs or KMs?

Maybe these:
KX Motor Drive
KM Motor Drive
Chrome K2DMD
K2, KX, KM Japanese Store Demos
Beautiful!

Phil.
11-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I would choose the KX from KX and K2. Although I will wait for a KM for myself once I would like to go full manual with film.

11-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my K2DMD, but if I could only keep one Pentax body it would be my KX.
I must like the KX as I have three of them.

The KM is also very nice, and closer to the minimalist ethos of the K1000.

Chris
11-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I like my K2DMD, but if I could only keep one Pentax body it would be my KX.
I must like the KX as I have three of them.

The KM is also very nice, and closer to the minimalist ethos of the K1000.

Chris
I have a K1000, but the meter doesn't works. I would like a new one with optical preview.
Everybody writes so much good about the KX, I will consider that too, but I do not want to spend the extra money on that. I rarely take images on film and I has a PZ-1p also...
11-21-2019, 03:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You'll get both eventually if you're asking that question. Let's be honest. Just pick one.

11-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I have a K1000, but the meter doesn't works. I would like a new one with optical preview.
Everybody writes so much good about the KX, I will consider that too, but I do not want to spend the extra money on that. I rarely take images on film and I has a PZ-1p also...
When you say "optical preview" do you mean for the depth of field?
In a pinch, I've partially dismounted the lens, which has the same effect (though you have to be careful to not drop the lens...)

If you don't shoot a lot, it may be worth it to fix what you have rather than search for something just as old.
I'd rather have a couple working cameras than a bunch of broken ones...

-Eric
11-21-2019, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
A good condition, working KM is what you need then. Many can be found at a cheaper price than you would likely pay to fix a K1000. It was the lowest model of the original 3 K models and it did include self-timer and depth of field preview. The K1000 dropped those features and somehow got the iconic status. I've never understood that.
11-21-2019, 04:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
In a pinch, I've partially dismounted the lens, which has the same effect (though you have to be careful to not drop the lens...)
Thanks, I did this with the K1000, but I would like a working in camera meter also.

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
A good condition, working KM is what you need then. Many can be found at a cheaper price than you would likely pay to fix a K1000. It was the lowest model of the original 3 K models and it did include self-timer and depth of field preview. The K1000 dropped those features and somehow got the iconic status. I've never understood that.
Yes I know, although it's not so common here in Hungary. I will order one. The K1000 was so simple it was ideal as a first learning camera, I think this is the secret recipe.
11-21-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A good condition, working KM is what you need then.
This ^ ^ ^

A KX would do the job too, with the addition of full-information viewfinder and a meter switch

Steve
11-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Because it was, for quite a long time, the most prolific student-camera, purchased by learning amateurs as a no-frills model, and bought en-masse by universities for class loaners. Huge numbers of people touched that specific camera over the years, hence a lot of nostalgic love.

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This ^ ^ ^

A KX would do the job too, with the addition of full-information viewfinder and a meter switch

Steve
^ ^ This.

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 01:12 PM ----------

From a collecting standpoint, either is fine - they're both loved by many, and for good reason.
From a long-term usability standpoint, the KX would be far more trustworthy; there is simply less to go wrong that can't be addressed down the road.
11-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks, now I'am seriously considering the KX instead! The viewfinder information would be great but I'am a left eye shooter, so the switch isn't so great...
11-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking to shoot, I say get the KX. It was my first SLR (and therefore the standard by which I judge others) so I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a great camera to use -- solidly built, reliable as a hammer, easy to master and manipulate the controls, easy-to-use meter (I prefer match-needle to a simple +/-) and lots of useful features (DOF preview, shutter button lock). I happen to like having the film-advance lever as the meter switch, as it's a super-sensible way to turn the meter on and off.

If you're looking for an interesting camera to collect, I say the K2 (though I have no experience with them). The idea of such an early camera with an auto-exposure mode is, to me, an interesting thing to have.

Aaron
11-24-2019, 05:10 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meter musings

The exposure meter in the KX is terrific, but like most people I don't like getting poked in the eye.
I assume the electrical switch in the KX film advance lever can be bypassed; i.e. jumpered out.
I must remember to ask Eric if he can do so on my next KX body sent for service.

FWIW until recently the replacement meter movement that fits KM and K1000 was available brand new, and that may still be the case.
That's likely not true of any other Pentax K or M models, so don't buy one with a bum meter unless willing to buy a donor body as well.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-24-2019 at 05:20 AM.