Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

KX and K2 who are the better one for collecting

I have a chance to get one of KX or K2 in 60 dollars. Who is the better one?

11-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My vote is for KX. Fully mechanical, batteries only used by exposure meter.
11-19-2019, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

If you are heading down the slippery collector trail and they are in good condition why not get both?

Regards,
Gordon.
11-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good question. At this point in history, neither model is particularly collectible (in the serious sense) unless new-in-box or possessing an unusual feature such as motor drive support or split-image focus screen.

Now if one is primarily interested in owning a K-series body as a matter of "having", personal interest and/or potential use, any of the original three bodies might worthy. I own a very clean KX and might also purchase a K2 or KM if one were to appear at an attractive price. The question one might ask oneself may be the same one makes for purchase new, "What model reflects my style of shooting and needs in a camera?

Steve

11-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

If you are heading down the slippery collector trail and they are in good condition why not get both?

Regards,
Gordon.
I and my friend jointly purchased them two, now how to divide ownership
11-19-2019, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To collect? both!
To use? Assuming both are in the same shape:KX
To brag and use as jewelry? K2

In summary? Both
11-19-2019, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Collecting is not about monetary value. Most people collect items for nostalgic reasons, if they so happen to become valuable, so be it. There are those who collect with high hopes of monetary gain, but they are not the majority and 9 out of 10 times they are disappointed. There is no wrong or right way to collect anything, it's a personal quest for the majority, and for most it brings enjoyment. What may be a hot commodity today may fall by the wayside tomorrow, but for the person who simply wants the item in their collection for the love of it, that item is a treasure to that collector no matter what the market dictates.

A collection should make you happy, if it doesn't then perhaps collecting isn't the road you should travel.

11-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neither is collectible except in some very small circles.
Even Pentax unloaded their collection of historic cameras.

They are excellent users though. My personal choice is the KX.

Chris
11-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpysz123 Quote
I and my friend jointly purchased them two, now how to divide ownership
Looks like you're going to have to rock, paper, scissors for them...

I have (and love) a KX, but I grew up with a (nearly identical) K1000.
The K2 and its foreign electronics scares me

Really, they're both cool. You can't really lose...

Pick the one you like, unless one is broken...

-Eric
11-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

both!! have a K-2 its very nice but no metering in manual making the KX the better choice
11-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I had my original KX/K2 oufit I used the K2 for low light/longer exposures. I did like the KX for most other things for some reason. The K2 DOES meter in manual in the same way that you meter with the KX, by matching the needle with the shutter indicator bar. Without batteries, however, you only get 1/125 and bulb.
11-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpysz123 Quote
I have a chance to get one of KX or K2 in 60 dollars. Who is the better one?
Personally I’d prefer the mechanical KX to use, but as others have said, neither has any real collectors value unless it’s NiB or has some kind of odd, limited run feature.
11-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the K2 just a K2, or is it a K2 DMD? If the latter, I’d say get that, but otherwise I’d defer to the others who suggest the KX, as I have no experience with that model.
11-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remain a fan of the whole K series line and have been concentrating my efforts on these and their contemporary lenses. As was mentioned, if you are going to get one, however, the KX is probably the reliable one and easier to find in top condition. Also, don't forget about the KM. It should be a little less $ than a KX, leaves out a couple features, but is also fully mechanical.
The more rare K2DMD, although electronic, was the top of the line and remains important to collectors when in AA condition.
11-20-2019, 05:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both the KX and K2. In fact 2 K2's. The K2 in my opinion is more lovely to have and to hold and to shoot with - but not by much. The big downside with the K2 is the appallingly executed ASA control ring. On both mine it has jammed up requiring the cameras to have a service, which is going to cost about £110 each. The KX (and the KM I own however) soldier on without any hassle, yet. Although I do expect a non-returning mirror at some point, which is a reasonably easy fix.