Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Article: QUEST FOR AN IDEAL COMPACT FILM SLR

A QUEST FOR AN IDEAL COMPACT FILM SLR – PART 1: THE PENTAX MV-1 & 40MM F/2.8 – BY ED LARA

Discuss.

11-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've tried three times to get a working MV-1 and struck out all three times. Each one had dead and/or non-working meter. Best case scenario for it is a camera that can only be shot at the flash sync speed. :-/ Reinforces my fear of the circuits in that era. I still have one of those bodies in my "graveyard" - intend to pass it on to Eric (as I often do with nice looking "parts" cameras) whenever I next send him something to work on.
11-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ultimate compact SLR? That is debatable. Good stand-in for an Olympus XA for street work? Yes, that I can see.*

As for the observations regarding the viewfinder, I suspect his MV-1 may be needing a cleaning or may have history to explain the dim view.

Steve

* I have used my XA for street photography and it is good for that task, though my large hands make for a poor match to the camera.
11-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ultimate compact SLR? That is debatable.
Indeed. It's one of, perhaps the most entry-level consumer-oriented SLR in the line. I wanted one for sheer whimsy and AE ease. But in terms of being an "SLR", I suppose it is - the lens does come off after all.

11-22-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

That was a fun read. It reminded me of the "magic needles" spool that Pentax used in their film cameras at the time (in my case, the ME Super and Super Program). I was able to load a roll of film and start shooting so quickly with that feature; meanwhile, my buddy with his much pricier Nikon F3HP would still be fumbling with the film leader.
11-22-2019, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Define ideal:

lightest weight 35mm manual focus? ZX-M with the 40mm
ligtweight AF? ZX-7 or *ist film if you can find one
Ridiculously compact SLR? Auto 110
11-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I was going to suggest that. I have one fully working one with 5 of the 6 lenses and it is a fun little camera. 3 rolls of film, all 5 lenses, the flash, and the camera fit a camera bag I probably couldn't stuff just the K-3 body into and zip closed.

11-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

So the title of the article says "ideal compact SLR" and then right at the beginning of the article, the MV-1 was the one he could actually afford...

I don't know, but those things usually don't go together...

The lack of manual shutter speed control rule out the MV-1 and the ME for me. I think the P30T isn't that much bigger and would be (and actually is) my choice. But the reason I don't write articles or blogs is because I don't think you should write about something you don't really know much about. Which is the case here with this author... how can he write an article on the ideal compact film SLR if he hasn't owned any of the good ones?

But I digress...
11-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
To be fair, this an article on "35mmc.com". Kinda precludes 110.
11-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don’t want to bother with an SLR if I can’t change the shutter speeds if I want.

I had a MG once and it drove me up the wall.

I’d rather use the XA...

But a MESuper or MX... now we’re talking...

-Eric
11-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a black Pentax ME for awhile. It was pretty, but without a shutter speed dial and
DOF preview I considered it more or less a "point and shoot" with interchangeable lens.

Chris
11-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's hard to imagine how a used ME Super is that much more expensive than a used MV-1. I see ME Supers for sale in the $20-$40 range
all the time. MXs can be found for that much money on a good day, and perhaps just a bit more on average. How much cheaper is the MV-1?
Is $20 savings to get a $10 MV-1 really >that< critical, especially when considering any of these bodies will require a $100 CLA?

Compact? Yes. Ideal? No.
11-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #13

If paired with Pentax's absolute smallest 135-capable lens, the DA 40mm XS, you could get an amazingly compact SLR. What's the absolute smallest Pentax 135 camera with Program and/or Shutter priority mode? I know the Super Program/A is very small, though not quite the smallest Pentax SLR. Is the P30 or later iterations noticeably smaller or lighter?

I don't have the 40mm yet, actually I'm planning the get the Ltd instead, but I do sometimes daydream about drooling over my Super Program with the XS equipped. With the Super A or P30 I'm sure it would look even better.
11-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Super Program probably is the smallest program body. It’s certainly my favorite.

But for film and the DA40, I like my ZX-£.

It’s still small, and it does all the fancy things the lens supports as well.

-Eric
11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #15

I had the super program and P30T around the same time, and I seem to recall they were very similar in size.
The super program was my favorite at the time (I also had an ME super around then) but I really hated the P30T because of the auto-DX film-speed setting with neither override nor confirmation of what it was doing.
I enjoyed my ME Supers back when they were alive ...