Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Best ZX/MZ style Camera

Wanting to get back in into film, I bought what looked like a brand new ZX-5n and battery grip for 25 bucks on that auction website. While it is one of the most beautiful and solid feeling film slr I have ever used, the mirror nor AF motor work. I have heard this is caused by the plastic gear in the mirror mechanism failing after lack of use. Is there any MZ style camera that uses a better shutter mechanism? Also does the MZ-5n grip work for all MZs or just the MZ-5n?

11-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #2

I think you'll find the MZ-S is considered the best of the series. It would also appear if you find one with a serial number beginning with "5" it will have a high likelihood of having a metal gear.
11-24-2019, 03:00 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the plastic gear broke replaced it with a metal one - at least that's what they did with mine.
11-24-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There was apparently a change from the plastic gear to the metal at some point for some models, but I don’t think there is any certainty with how to predict that.

The MZ-S is the best one of the lot and the only one that won’t take your grip, I think...

I have a ZX-£, which is the same as the MZ-6, and I like it a lot. I have no idea which mirror gear it has and am a little afraid to look

-Eric

11-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have the MZ-S but everybody agrees is the best. My favorite from the series is the ZX-7. Unfortunately, the mirror gear in mine failed recently. I also kind of like the oddball ZX-M which is manual focus. The FG grip I have is compatible with both and with ZX-10 & 60 I have around.

Thanks,
11-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Wanting to get back in into film, I bought what looked like a brand new ZX-5n and battery grip for 25 bucks on that auction website. While it is one of the most beautiful and solid feeling film slr I have ever used, the mirror nor AF motor work. I have heard this is caused by the plastic gear in the mirror mechanism failing after lack of use. Is there any MZ style camera that uses a better shutter mechanism? Also does the MZ-5n grip work for all MZs or just the MZ-5n?
While the MZ-S is the best of the line, it's expensive, $250-$300, and also prone to the plastic gear split issue (at least on serial #s below 5xxxxx). You can get a zx-5 or 5n under $50 in good working condition or an MZ-3 under $100. For those prices I'd take my chances with the gear issue or pop-up flash break. I have 2 ZX-5s, one with a broken pop-up flash, and a MZ-3.

But... Recently I've picked up 3 from the Z line... Z-5p, PZ-1 and a PZ-1p. I really like these camera. Also these can be has in the $50-$150 range.

11-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the MZ-S (Serial number 5015447) and can vouch for its excellence. It takes the BG-10 battery grip, which I also have.

11-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I have the MZ-S (Serial number 5015447) and can vouch for its excellence. It takes the BG-10 battery grip, which I also have.
Do you have the brass mirror gear?

-Eric
11-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

MZ-S is my favorite of that era. Handling that I just love.
But a close second, a the *far* more affordable option is this one:

11-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
MZ-S is my favorite of that era. Handling that I just love.
But a close second, a the *far* more affordable option is this one:

Lovely photo of your FA 43. The primary reason why I have been looking for a film body is because I want to shoot film with the FA limited. I felt the best camera to do that is the MZ/ZX series but I will have to keep looking for a working camera.
11-24-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Also does the MZ-5n grip work for all MZs or just the MZ-5n?
The "FG grip" is for the bulk of MZ/ZX style cameras:
Pentax Battery Grip FG reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The BG-10 is for the MZ-S specifically.
Pentax BG 10 battery grip reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 04:24 PM ----------

Lovely photo of your FA 43. The primary reason why I have been looking for a film body is because I want to shoot film with the FA limited. I felt the best camera to do that is the MZ/ZX series but I will have to keep looking for a working camera.
I got my MZ-3 from Japan a few years back (at the recommendation of Colton here). I used it extensively for a couple years but have gone back to the manual bodies for the part and...

About a year later (also from Colton, damn you man ) I was tipped to an excellent deal for an MZ-S which bought mostly for two included lenses, one of which I quickly sold, the other a bit later (can't even recall which they were - both zooms IIRC). MZ-S is one that I did *not* care for at first, but after spending a couple days with it that started to change. After a month I was in love with it, and it's my favorite of the auto-focus late film era bodies by quite a margin.

And yeah, the FA43 is a ridiculously good fit for the MZ-3 and ZX style bodies. Incredibly small. Incredibly versatile. Incredibly light. Incredible images.

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 04:27 PM ----------

And by the by, the FA three amigos shoot well on ANY film body, AF or not. They have very good manual focus handling - I use them manual more than auto personally.
11-24-2019, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

IIRC the FA43 was released with the MZ-3 and they were offered as a kit (both in silver) for around £600-700.

---------- Post added 11-25-19 at 12:48 AM ----------

I really like the no-nonsense controls of the MZ-M, it's much nicer than any of the push-button models (ME Super, Super-A, P50 etc.) being of the time when dials were 'retro'. The AA battery grip is really useful and, for me, improves the handling.
11-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought a MZ-5 (non N) from that auction site...(what is that thing about repeating the same thing and expecting different results?) but at least this time I can return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks all for your feedback and comments
11-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Do you have the brass mirror gear?

-Eric
I don't know. How do I tell, apart from having a serial number that begins with 5?
12-01-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster

So good news, I found a fully working ZX-5 with a 35-80 f4, Pentax Bag, and 4 rolls of slightly expired film for $25 bucks. FA 31mm limited not included Can't wait to shoot film again. I took the battery grip from the first camera, and now I have a battery grip that takes AAs.