Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 05:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax MZ-S film door (loose fit)

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Pentax MZ-S and noticed the film door on the left hand side of the camera isn't what I'd describe a very close fit.

I can press down on the door when it's in it's closed position, and you can physically feel the door going down, as well as see a bit of travel.
Is this common on the MZ-S and is it just constructed this way? I've yet to put through any film and check if it would cause any light leaks.

Thank you guys in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Joni.

11-27-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How are the light seals? Maybe they are deteriorated or missing causing it not to fit snugly.

Thanks,
11-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There’s just those two small ones on the top and bottom. They look comparable to what I find online.

11-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #4

My ZX/MZ-50 has no foam light seals on the body or data back except around the film cassette window. It uses light traps instead of foam seals.

Perhaps the catch is bent or broken. It is plastic on the both the door and body on the MZ-50.

11-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
My ZX/MZ-50 has no foam light seals on the body or data back except around the film cassette window. It uses light traps instead of foam seals.

Perhaps the catch is bent or broken. It is plastic on the both the door and body on the MZ-50.

Honestly the catch does not seem broken or bent. It’s just that there’s a bit of travel when pressing down.

The MZ-S is definitely more traps than foam seals, those two small ones are the only thing there. My Z-1 has traps on the back as well.

11-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many cameras will exhibit some give when the latch side of the door is pressed down. At least several on my shelf do. It is the seals doing their job be being springy.

Steve
11-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
Honestly the catch does not seem broken or bent. It’s just that there’s a bit of travel when pressing down.

The MZ-S is definitely more traps than foam seals, those two small ones are the only thing there. My Z-1 has traps on the back as well.

How much travel is a "bit" of travel? Are you able to post a video with the door closed to demonstrate?
Mine also has a "bit" but we should quantify "bit".
Also, does that travel go away when a film is loaded?

11-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

There is almost no play at all on my MZ-50 when pressing on the door - less than the width of a hair off my head at most.

Try putting a small key chain LED light in the film cassette compartment and check for light leaks in a dark room or closet.
11-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Run a film through it in strong sunlight. If it has no objectionable light leaks (i.e. that penetrate into the frame) then it's usable. Most of my bodies have light leaks, but none are show-stoppers. I could try to replace the light seals myself, but thus far it's not worth the bother (maybe it will come to that in future). Sending them out would cost more than I paid for them.
11-27-2019, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
How much travel is a "bit" of travel? Are you able to post a video with the door closed to demonstrate?
Mine also has a "bit" but we should quantify "bit".
Also, does that travel go away when a film is loaded?
I've made a quick video to quantify

11-27-2019, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I've made a quick video to quantify

Looks within 'normal' parameters to me. The fact that it springs back means it is probably the foam light seals reacting to the pressure.
11-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Looks within 'normal' parameters to me. The fact that it springs back means it is probably the foam light seals reacting to the pressure.
I would agree.

Load and spool up a film cassette. 10 bucks says it nearly goes away. (At present it's really only a fraction more play than mine displays. Rest your weary head.)

And by the way, in case you weren't aware, you can set the camera to leave the leader out when rewinding (so you needn't worry about having to shoot the roll you load right now).
11-27-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I would agree.

Load and spool up a film cassette. 10 bucks says it nearly goes away. (At present it's really only a fraction more play than mine displays. Rest your weary head.)

And by the way, in case you weren't aware, you can set the camera to leave the leader out when rewinding (so you needn't worry about having to shoot the roll you load right now).
Thanks for the input you guys!
Will try not to overreact next time
11-27-2019, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will try not to overreact next time
What fun would that be?
11-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I noticed my Z-1 has this function as well.
Freaked me out the first time I opened it up and expected a fully rewound film cassette.