Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2019, 10:18 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tiny unicorn

I won an Auto 110 Super on Fleabay. Got it for peanuts, most likely because it was listed in the wrong category and no one saw it. Wasn't looking for one of these, let alone a Super, but had to jump on it at the price the bidding was starting at. It arrived yesterday. It's smaller than I expected! The battery chambers for the flash and winder are crusted with corrosion, but I wasn't going to use either anyway. Camera seems to function fine. Running some Lomography Orca through it today with the 24mm lens (probably the lens I'd use with this 90% of the time). Hope to develop it this weekend. Will test out the other lenses with a 2nd roll.

12-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice find. The Supers are hard to find.
12-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
really nice kit - looks barely used !
12-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I won an Auto 110 Super on Fleabay. Got it for peanuts, most likely because it was listed in the wrong category and no one saw it. Wasn't looking for one of these, let alone a Super, but had to jump on it at the price the bidding was starting at. It arrived yesterday. It's smaller than I expected! The battery chambers for the flash and winder are crusted with corrosion, but I wasn't going to use either anyway. Camera seems to function fine. Running some Lomography Orca through it today with the 24mm lens (probably the lens I'd use with this 90% of the time). Hope to develop it this weekend. Will test out the other lenses with a 2nd roll.

There was a time with the 110 Super was going for $200 and the 20-40 zoom was around $100. I've got a few 110s and one Super. I always like that camera but pictures it shot werent really enlargable unless you shot plusX and used a fine grain developer...even then you might get a decent 5x7 out of it. Fun to use anyway and always attracts attention.

12-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Really neat. Congrats on the purchase. You'll have to share some of your results and feelings from using it. I see these every now and then (not super's though) and I feel like one of these days I am going to snag one just to experience.
12-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

When I was a kid I used to look at the Christmas catalogues from the department stores and I would always go right to the camera section. The Auto 110 was the one I lusted after. I would be interesting to play around with one now.
12-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fun stuff. One of our close friends brought me a camera bag when we met for drinks this past summer, one he'd picked up at a yard sale for around 10 dollars. Had a very nice, very working K1000 in it, some decent glass.... and in the last zipper-chamber, unseen by him, was the same full kit for Auto 110 (non super). I finally got around to ordering some Orca and Tiger to throw into it last week (hasn't arrived) just for some nostalgic fun. No real intention of keeping it personally other than to hand off to my niece in a year or two (she likes her Instax for now), but was still a great find. Hadn't held one in well over 2 decades. Everything works just great.

12-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
around to ordering some Orca and Tiger to throw into it last week
I've used both those films, and they seem way grainier than I would expect. I figured the film was not so hi-res, or maybe the processing was off, but maybe it is just the negative is so small and I didn't realize that.
12-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Probably a little bit of both. Unfortunately there aren’t any high quality options. Other than Lomography, Film Photography Store website has Fukkatsu for the same price as Lomo in color and B&W. I bought a roll of each but haven’t used it yet. I believe it’s all recently expired and they aren’t making more so when it’s gone, it’s gone.
I made a film splitter so theoretically I could reload with a higher quality film but this far have only reloaded with Kentmere 400

I’d agree that generally my results were grainier than I’d like but I just developed a roll of Tiger that I shot probably 9 months ago and was surprised how sharp they looked.
12-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I've used both those films, and they seem way grainier than I would expect. I figured the film was not so hi-res, or maybe the processing was off, but maybe it is just the negative is so small and I didn't realize that.
Yeah like Lhorn said, it's both. The exposed image is tiny, and Lomography repurposes/repackages all sorts of undisclosed short-run, expired, weird film stocks it can get ahold of and sells them as vintage chique. It likely is grainier than you remember. That doesn't worry me though - I only bought three rolls - 2 to shoot and play around with and a third to give away with the camera.

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 11:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I made a film splitter so theoretically I could reload with a higher quality film but this far have only reloaded with Kentmere 400
I considered doing the same back in the summer when I got it, and nearly bought some additional bulk film for that purpose... I can't remember what it was now.
But determined in the end that I left 110 for a reason (when I was twelve) and I'd rather just shoot my half-frame nowadays if I want fun and tiny.
12-07-2019, 04:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What half frame do you have? I got excited about 1/2 frame recently because I thought I had a line on a Olympus Pen for cheap, but ultimately the selenium meter was bad.

Here's a pic off my recently developed roll off Lomography Tiger 110. Self scanned with Epson V500

Edit
wow, it looks grainy viewed this large.
Attached Images

12-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll have some Lomography Metropolis in 110 soon. It will be interesting to compare it to 35mm and 120 negatives since any differences will be due to the camera.
12-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
What half frame do you have? I got excited about 1/2 frame recently because I thought I had a line on a Olympus Pen for cheap, but ultimately the selenium meter was bad.

Here's a pic off my recently developed roll off Lomography Tiger 110. Self scanned with Epson V500

Edit
wow, it looks grainy viewed this large.
Those negatives are awfully tiny, and I don't think anybody is marketing fine-grained emulsions in the 110 format, so the graininess is not surprising.
12-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was shooting my 110 this afternoon alongside other things. I just use it for fun without any great expectations.

The ISO 200 film I was using was in a slow speed cassette which would have been metered at ISO 80 by the 110. Does anyone get their lab to compensate for that?

Cheers, Kris.
12-07-2019, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #15

Fun little cameras. Here's the 4 bodies available.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo