Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 07:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's On the Bench? (also, attn: I changed my username)

It just occurred to me that my workspace is clean... er, clean comparatively, and so I thought a snapshot was in order.
There's a queue developing, the vast majority of which is unseen here, and things that should be looked at often get bumped for new arrivals.
There's a Autoreflex T4 up now. Most things addressed earlier today, but still have to dive back in top-side to sort some erratic metering weirdness.
Fingers crossed. (They're actually robust little beasts.)

Anyhow - thought it'd be cool to see similar scenes from folks' benches, tables, garages at various times past and future, in all their total disorganization or type-A tidiness.

And finally please note:
this is Kevin here, a.k.a. "chickentender", hereinafter known as "Eyewanders" here on the PF.

Chickentender was a nickname from bygone days that no one really calls me in my everyday life anymore so it was weird having it here.
After almost 13 years I asked Adam to change it a bit ago.

12-12-2019, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
It just occurred to me that my workspace is clean... er, clean comparatively, and so I thought a snapshot was in order.
There's a queue developing, the vast majority of which is unseen here, and things that should be looked at often get bumped for new arrivals.
There's a Autoreflex T4 up now. Most things addressed earlier today, but still have to dive back in top-side to sort some erratic metering weirdness.
Fingers crossed. (They're actually robust little beasts.)

Anyhow - thought it'd be cool to see similar scenes from folks' benches, tables, garages at various times past and future, in all their total disorganization or type-A tidiness.

And finally please note:
this is Kevin here, a.k.a. "chickentender", hereinafter known as "Eyewanders" here on the PF.

Chickentender was a nickname from bygone days that no one really calls me in my everyday life anymore so it was weird having it here.
After almost 13 years I asked Adam to change it a bit ago.

Nice one Kevin.
Now, of course, we all want to know how you became "chickentender"!

I won't photograph my work office desk - client's privacy and all that, but I'll attempt a photo of my workbench in the shed. It's a shambles, having just completed a big joinery job at home.
12-12-2019, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I work at the kitchen table when doing camera/lens stuff despite having a couple nice work tables upstairs. Those are covered with "stuff".

Steve
12-12-2019, 08:32 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the plants. It looks like a peaceful environment to work on those cameras

I think this idea is hilarious, because my workbench is almost always a mess. I went in and took a picture of it just now - no prep to make it look any better - just so everyone can get a kick out of my disarray. I go in and tidy it all up about once a month, but it doesn't stay that way for long. I usually have 5-10 different projects going on at any given time

You can see the hobbies are mostly all photography related right now. As a teenager the hobby was paintball, and I would mod paintball markers, or bring new life to old ones, or just make them my own somehow. Not entirely unlike how I play with cameras today

First my current workbench, taken just moments ago. Then my workbench as a teenager. Not much cleaner.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo   
12-12-2019, 08:41 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I work at the kitchen table when doing camera/lens stuff despite having a couple nice work tables upstairs. Those are covered with "stuff".

Steve
Hahaha. As do I most of the time, and as are mine. That's why it seemed so photo-worthy. "Hey my workspace is able to worked at right now!"

I'm often at the coffee table or kitchen table too (instead of sequestered in back - though I do go back there for more careful work or if I'm just home alone).

---------- Post added 12-12-19 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice one Kevin.
Now, of course, we all want to know how you became "chickentender"!
Hahah. Sure - it's actually from around 1999 when a group of friends (we're still all in contact but those days are long gone) got together each Sunday for many years. We'd BBQ most of the day and into the evening. Plenty o drink. Plenty of food. This is back when The X-Files was still new and we always turned it on and gathered around taking turns (or just talking over one another) making up our own dialogue a lot of the time (especially re-runs) and always, ALWAYS placing bets just before the top of the show as to when "the flashlight scene" would occur (9:06pm? 9:22pm? or would it be save for the finale at 9:52pm???) - whoever got closest without going over won the pot (which was often leftover food and drink). (Go back and watch and X-Files episode. 9 times out of 10 there will be dark scene with flashlights at some point.)
Anyhow, I almost always brought along some form of marinated chicken, in various concoctions and cuts and styles, for the grill... and I was one of about 5 of us that would tend the grill regularly. And I was the ONLY one that was willing to be at the grill and watch the TV and yell through the open dining room window into the living room while the X-Files was on. One night one of the gals came to check on me and hang out for a minute - when she went back inside she said "don't worry everyone, Chickentender's got it all under control".
No one ever stopped calling me that after that night. It was eventually shortened to to "C.T." and I was introduced that way for years. Never went away.

That's the semi-long version.

---------- Post added 12-12-19 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I like the plants. It looks like a peaceful environment to work on those cameras
....First my current workbench, taken just moments ago. Then my workbench as a teenager. Not much cleaner.
Thanks. It is when it's semi-clean. Plants are another hobby. Our place is pretty much an arboretum.
That bench shot is more like what my workspace normally looks like.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 12-12-2019 at 08:55 PM.
12-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

"don't worry everyone, Chickentender's got it all under control"
Oh! That kind of tender. I thought it was weird you took the online nickname of a breaded and fried chicken strip.
12-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Oh! That kind of tender. I thought it was weird you took the online nickname of a breaded and fried chicken strip.
The multiple meanings were apparently talked about quite a lot while I was outside that night, which is why it stuck.
Is he tender of chicken? Tender as chicken? Or a fried snack?

12-12-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The X-Files was still new and we always turned it on
Great story and series. Lots of X-Files locations in Vancouver that I still smile at when I walk by them.

Phil.
12-13-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

hmmm... I have been thinking about changing my username for awhile, maybe it's time...
12-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
hmmm... I have been thinking about changing my username for awhile, maybe it's time...
Yours was related to your building company wasn't it?

Are you going to change it to "EktarWhisperer"?

---------- Post added 12-13-19 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Great story and series. Lots of X-Files locations in Vancouver that I still smile at when I walk by them.
Perfect filming base for that show.... no shortage of dark, misty, grey, hidden locales throughout much of the year (not unlike around here).
12-13-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Yours was related to your building company wasn't it?

Are you going to change it to "EktarWhisperer"?

Yes, it came from SwiftSure Timberworks.
I have been wanting to get my usernames all the same across all the various forums/photo sharing sites but have resisted. I follow people on instagram that are always changing their username and it really bugs me because after a few changes I can't remember who they are and why I follow them.
12-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Yes, it came from SwiftSure Timberworks.
I have been wanting to get my usernames all the same across all the various forums/photo sharing sites but have resisted. I follow people on instagram that are always changing their username and it really bugs me because after a few changes I can't remember who they are and why I follow them.
That's exactly what I wanted. I use "chickentender" as a generic login all over the place, but for a forward-facing name nowadays it's not fitting. My flickr name is both (with parentheticals) which is bizarre but it doesn't bother me terribly. I branded "Eyewanders" back in '09 and just never bothered (or really thought about) changing it in other spots until the last few years but didn't for the reasons you mention.
12-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you have a messy, disorganised work bench, you are increasing the entropy of the universe which will ultimately lead to a "thermal death". So on top of melting polar caps, excess plastic usage and countless other things, we gotta worry about that.