Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mike Johnston on the Pentax Spotmatic

Here it is.

The Online Photographer: Open Mike: Midcentury Modern Throwback

My previous experience with Spotmatics was shooting with a borrowed SPII in the early-to-mid '90s, because a reader had claimed that the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar was the smoothest-focusing lens he had ever experienced, smoother than a Leica lens. To my surprise, he was correct.

12-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yep, good read.
12-13-2019, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do like to read his blog and comment on it sometimes.

I think he is a treasure in the world of photography. A man who really knows what he is doing, is a wordsmith like few and is polite like the men of his generation knew to be. Which is something I'm trying to teach my children, because it seems to be a lost art these days when raw unfiltered bluntness and disregard for how one's words are perceived are far too common.

I hope he posts some of his more recent Spotmatic pictures and talks a bit more about it...
12-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
... because a reader had claimed that the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar was the smoothest-focusing lens he had ever experienced, smoother than a Leica lens. To my surprise, he was correct.
True story. Folk are finding out.

12-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here it is.

The Online Photographer: Open Mike: Midcentury Modern Throwback

My previous experience with Spotmatics was shooting with a borrowed SPII in the early-to-mid '90s, because a reader had claimed that the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar was the smoothest-focusing lens he had ever experienced, smoother than a Leica lens. To my surprise, he was correct.
Also covered on this earlier thread from a day or so ago.

Spotmatic - PentaxForums.com

Steve
12-13-2019, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I have a couple of classic '60's Leitz lenses (Summicron and Tele-Elmarit), and a bunch of very nice Takumars, and that observation is spot on.
12-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An interesting read.

12-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Reading through that article, I think Mike has his Takumar folklore a bit muddled, and is applying the legend of the loss-leading, Planar-beating 8-element Super Takumar to all Takumar 50/f1.4 variants. The S-M-C 50/f1.4 he has mounted on his SL is a plain-Jane 7 element. As far as I’m aware Pentax did make money on them...

Likewise, the MX definitely didn’t replace the Spotmatic.
12-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

I use a Leica M2 along with a Spotmatic and S1a, the Pentax's are just as smooth as the Leica, if not a tad smoother. Leica has a reputation for a "buttery" smooth wind-on, the Pentax is possibly a little bit smoother still. I rate the standard of the cameras and lenses as being roughly equal to a Leica. I am also a Nikon collector and the Pentax handling is far superior to a Nikon of the same period.

I think these early Pentax models are real "sleepers" and one day the market will wake up to it.

Nick
12-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Also covered on this earlier thread from a day or so ago.

Spotmatic - PentaxForums.com
Sorry, I did not see that. I have been following Johnston's blog for several years on a regular basis. Now I am a supporter, via Patreon. If someone is interested, here is the link: Mike is creating daily kibble for photo dawgs | Patreon.

I remember another T.O.P. page about Pentaxians and Canadians. And Spotmatics, and Takumars, etc.

The Online Photographer: Three More Things About the Spotmatic

People who use Pentaxes are afflicted with a stereotype to this day. Which is, they're like Canadians—all nice, mild, and polite. They tend to be decent people free of disputatiousness and bloodymindedness, who love their parents and children, are modest about their wealth and accomplishments, and are courteous, kind and friendly to others. :-)

12-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

LoL! that is brilliant, I had to chuckle at the Buttah comment
Yes, Pentax was and still is underrated, Roger Hicks used to say something like" Pentaxes are underrated cameras which are better than their users"
12-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I wonder if Pentax ownership increases the odds of getting Canadian citizenship if one emigrates...

-Eric
12-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
So I wonder if Pentax ownership increases the odds of getting Canadian citizenship if one emigrates...

-Eric
Its worth a try. FWIW, being a Ricoh owner did not help me when I made an attempt at immigrate there in the early 1980s. Tape over the Ricoh markings?

Steve
12-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Good read, thanks for sharing.
12-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fun read, although i am well aware of the joys of a spotmatic Just starting to use an MX.

Also, can confirm - i have both Canadian citizenship and Pentax cameras. I think it's a given

You can approximate the effect by responding "yeah no for sure eh" to questions.