Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

LX LEDs hard to make out

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the LX and Pentax world. I come from a Nikon film and Fuji digital background. I recently acquired an LX and I love it. Not having much experience with it, I had it out today and it was pretty sunny out. The viewfinder LEDs are super small and pretty hard to read on a sunny day. At one point, I gave up and just put it into Automatic mode and hoped for the best. Are they supposed to flicker quickly? They react correctly to the light it looks like. It made me miss a needle exposure reading.

Thanks in advance. Happy to be here!

12-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gashlycrumb Quote
Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the LX and Pentax world. I come from a Nikon film and Fuji digital background. I recently acquired an LX and I love it. Not having much experience with it, I had it out today and it was pretty sunny out. The viewfinder LEDs are super small and pretty hard to read on a sunny day. At one point, I gave up and just put it into Automatic mode and hoped for the best. Are they supposed to flicker quickly? They react correctly to the light it looks like. It made me miss a needle exposure reading.

Thanks in advance. Happy to be here!
Welcome and congrats on your LX.

LED flickering is possibly due to low batteries. The camera will still keep working until those lights go out completely.
12-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Low battery? Flickering LED is how the camera signals the user they are low.

Steve
12-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Low battery? Flickering LED is how the camera signals the user they are low.

Steve
Thank you. I swapped in some other batteries that weren't quite brand new (but still good) and the flickering slowed down, especially for the green LEDs, but it was still prominent with the yellow ones. When I put in brand-new ones, all the LEDs improved. So, that must be it.

Sorry for the silly question.

12-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thank you. I swapped in some other batteries that weren't quite brand new (but still good) and the flickering slowed down, especially for the green LEDs, but it was still prominent with the yellow ones. When I put in brand-new ones, all the LEDs improved. So, that must be it.

Sorry for the silly question.
Not silly at all.
BTW - if you don't already have one, a manual can be found at Butkus Camera Manual Library - Pentax LX. In it you will find in page 5 about the low voltage warning.

Also, welcome aboard. What was your Nikon film camera? Was it a manual camera?
12-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are no silly questions. What is silly is having a question and not ask.
Thanks to your question now I know a bit more about the LX which is on my want list....
12-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Not silly at all.
BTW - if you don't already have one, a manual can be found at Butkus Camera Manual Library - Pentax LX. In it you will find in page 5 about the low voltage warning.

Also, welcome aboard. What was your Nikon film camera? Was it a manual camera?
Thanks for the resource. I completely missed it in the manual, and of course, it was right in front of my face.

As for Nikons, I have the FM, FE, FM3A, and the F3. Of them all, the FM3A is my favorite.

12-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for the resource. I completely missed it in the manual, and of course, it was right in front of my face.

As for Nikons, I have the FM, FE, FM3A, and the F3. Of them all, the FM3A is my favorite.
I also prefer the FM3A amongst my Nikon SLRs. Be good to hear your impressions of the LX after you give it some good work.
12-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I also prefer the FM3A amongst my Nikon SLRs. Be good to hear your impressions of the LX after you give it some good work.
Thanks! It's amazing how the size of the LX is close to the FM3A, but the build quality feels like the F3. It's really impressive. I'm still getting a hang of the metering as I'm used to locking exposure with the Nikon.