Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Detailed Pentax SLR Dimensions

I'm getting ready to do a LEGO build with my son, and it would be helpful to have some detailed dimensions of several Pentax SLR cameras. Would you mind posting the following dimensions... It would be helpful if you used metric as that's what LEGO uses, but any measurements you can make would be awesome. Thanks!

Model of camera:

Height (from base to top of pentaprism):
Height (from base to shoulders excluding buttons/dials):
Height of Leatherette Band:
Height of bottom chrome/black border below the leatherette band:
Height of the "P" in Pentax
Height of the first letter in the model name (i.e. "K" in K1000, "M" in MX, "L" in LX, etc)

Width of camera measured across the bottom
Shortest distance from the left front edge to the outside edge flange (don't measure the curve of the front... perhaps set the camera up against something flat, by "shortest distance" I mean where the flange is at its widest.).
Shortest distance from the right front side to the outside edge flange.

Thickness of camera measured from the bottom plate.
Thickness of camera measured from the top plate (probably the same)

12-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Model of camera: MX

Height (from base to top of pentaprism): 83mm
Height (from base to shoulders excluding buttons/dials): 60.5mm
Height of Leatherette Band: 44mm
Height of bottom chrome/black border below the leatherette band: 4.5mm
Height of the "P" in Pentax: 3.5mm
Height of the first letter in the model name (i.e. "K" in K1000, "M" in MX, "L" in LX, etc): 3.5mm

Width of camera measured across the bottom: 135mm
Shortest distance from the left front edge to the outside edge flange (don't measure the curve of the front... perhaps set the camera up against something flat, by "shortest distance" I mean where the flange is at its widest.). 44mm
Shortest distance from the right front side to the outside edge flange. 31mm

Thickness of camera measured from the bottom plate. 32mm
Thickness of camera measured from the top plate (probably the same) 32mm
12-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Model of camera: ME Super

Height (from base to top of pentaprism): 83mm
Height (from base to shoulders excluding buttons/dials): 63.5mm
Height of Leatherette Band: 49.5mm
Height of bottom chrome/black border below the leatherette band: 4mm
Height of the first letter in the model name (i.e. "K" in K1000, "M" in MX, "L" in LX, etc): 3.5mm

Width of camera measured across the bottom: 130mm
Shortest distance from the left front edge to the outside edge flange (don't measure the curve of the front... perhaps set the camera up against something flat, by "shortest distance" I mean where the flange is at its widest.). 43mm
Shortest distance from the right front side to the outside edge flange. 26mm

Thickness of camera measured from the bottom plate. 31mm
Thickness of camera measured from the top plate (probably the same) 31mm
12-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Model of camera: Spotmatic F

Height (from base to top of pentaprism): 92mm
Height (from base to shoulders excluding buttons/dials): 73mm
Height of Leatherette Band: 54mm
Height of bottom chrome/black border below the leatherette band: 5mm
Height of the first letter in the model name (i.e. "K" in K1000, "M" in MX, "L" in LX, etc): 2.5mm

Width of camera measured across the bottom: 140mm
Shortest distance from the left front edge to the outside edge flange (don't measure the curve of the front... perhaps set the camera up against something flat, by "shortest distance" I mean where the flange is at its widest.). 46mm
Shortest distance from the right front side to the outside edge flange. 33mm

Thickness of camera measured from the bottom plate. 32.5mm
Thickness of camera measured from the top plate (probably the same) 32.5mm

12-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera Size Comparison will give you basic sizes on many Pentax cameras, but not down to the detail you would like.

Still, it might be useful. . . ? especially in conjunction with other information. For instance, all K-mounts are the same diameter. All M42 mounts are the same diameter. Just the location on the front varies.
12-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And we would like to see the Lego versions when you've built them.

I would measure a camera for you but judging by my attempts at DIY my measuring really isn't that good.
12-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow, good job tvdtvdtvd. And yes, we want to see the final product! Include it in the roadmap

12-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Camera Size Comparison will give you basic sizes on many Pentax cameras, but not down to the detail you would like.

Still, it might be useful. . . ? especially in conjunction with other information. For instance, all K-mounts are the same diameter. All M42 mounts are the same diameter. Just the location on the front varies.
That's pretty cool unfortunately not only are the dimension details not there but they are also missing film cameras.
12-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcoat Quote
I'm getting ready to do a LEGO build with my son . . .
Sounds fun!

Attachment 481410
12-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
I'll definitely post the finished results, though the project will likely take several months. So far I have torn a for-parts Pentax ME apart and liberated its pentaprism/focus screen, mirror, pressure plate, and flange. At this point, I'm thinking we'll model the build after the K1000 both for its iconic status and the dimensions/details are the easiest to reproduce.

At the moment, I'm working on how to make a functioning shutter out of LEGO bricks... A single curtain design is fairly easy to make, but made out of legos... it requires a track of 12cm. By the time you leave room for walls, a film canister and take up reel, the camera will be about 40% larger than a K1000 (I'm aiming for just about 10% larger). I could do a half frame camera... but I really would like to keep it full frame.